Austin bombings: literal American carnage meets with Trumpian indifference

This is scandalous. When will the authorities in Austin permit the citizens to defend themselves?

Only a good man with a bomb can stop a bad man with a bomb!

2 Likes

:musical_note:You can say that they’re just black
But I like to deal with facts
In the 1920s you would’ve found in America
Black towns
Prospering centres of economics and education to make you proud
But some people couldn’t bear that the former slaves would not just lie down
So the KKK and other hate groups burnt those towns to the ground
Killin hundreds
If it ain’t understood
You think you were always livin’ in the hood?
Shit it’s only been sixty years
Since they hung blacks and burned em’
And that was so cool
Day-rail passes, picnic baskets
Even gave kids the day off school
To go see a lynching, have a picnic
It’s fun to watch the little monkeys die
Then people act a little dysfunctional
You wanna pretend that you don’t know why
If your colour means you can be killed
And you’re powerless to get justice about it
Is it difficult to figure out how you would then end up feelin’ about it?:musical_note:

3 Likes

The Parkland shooting was done by an avowed white supremacist, acknowledged member of a neonazi group, who had swastikas on his magazines. That is a “mental health issue,” not a terrorist case. If this guy (and it almost always is a guy) is not Muslim, it will not ever be recognized as terrorism. Especially if it is a MAGA type. After all, white men cannot be terrorists!

4 Likes

Sarcasm, btw, just in case you missed it.

That got rolled back as 4chan driving trollies. Other evidence definitely points to him being solidly rightwing though.

Ok, I missed the rollback. Racist shithead, but not apparently part of organized shitheadery.

2 Likes

I have to find ways to use the word “shitheadery” more often in conversation. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-blast/police-suspect-serial-bomber-in-deadly-austin-attacks-idUSKBN1GV02E

The victims in Sunday’s explosion were white, Manley told ABC News on Monday morning.

Now we’ll see action.

4 Likes

Maybe. A pretty, white, Australian lady got killed by police at the height of the tension over excessive police violence and it didn’t alter the dynamic over that issue one bit.

Meanwhile this bomb was apparently triggered by trip wire. Meaning this was a far, far less targeted bombing. And conclusions about motivation can’t neccisarily be drawn from the victims.

1 Like

Well, less targeted in terms of particular individuals, but if it happened in a certain part of town, the (racist) targeting could still be pretty specific.

3 Likes

that’s part of the problem. Sounds like the police are being loose about whether it’s connected to the other bombings or not pending more info.

It was apparently in a different area of Austin. A neighborhood that’s far more affluent and white. The bomb apparently shows enough similarities to the devices from the earlier attacks to be considered connected for now. But they’re calling it more sophisticated (and I don’t think it’s because of the tripwire) And that’s a complete change in how and where it was targeted.

So you’ve got a pretty massive shift in MO. From specifically targeted individuals (the previous Hispanic victim was apparently not the intended victim but there was an intended victim). To a more random attack, potentially intended to harm larger numbers of people. With a different sort of device. Could be a copycat. Could be a deliberate attempt to muddy the waters if the hate crime angle is close to the true motive. Could just be an escalation of an existing motive that hasn’t been properly identified yet.

Pretty much everything about this attack is gonna complicate figuring it out. Because not much seems to fit with the previous patterns.

1 Like
5 Likes

Quick note. Every single person I’ve talked to about the bombings in the past couple of weeks since the first one on March 2nd was already aware of it, mainly through word-of-mouth. I’ve encountered two general reactions, especially after the pattern emerged; not my problem or I hope they catch the bomber soon.

The police seriously dropped the ball and bumbled the initial investigation showing racist indifference.

The Statesman (which tends toward center-right by the American position of the Overton window) reported on the first explosion, the day of, then there was a general lull in coverage until the second bombing. The Chronicle, (which tends toward center-left) doesn’t appear to have covered it until a few days after the second bombing on the 12th, but at least they’re calling it domestic terrorism now. National news coverage seems to have been even more delayed. I’m of two minds about this. On the one hand, sober coverage is much needed and it’s pretty obvious the dearth of coverage is because a serial killer targeting POCs doesn’t fit their racist sensationalist media strategy. On the other hand, they’re not fear-mongering for a change, albeit for all the wrong reasons and only as a consequence that they’re barely acknowledging the murders, which is itself a major fail.

4 Likes

Sheesh!

A law enforcement officer told CBS News the package was mailed from Austin and was being sent to Austin.

2 Likes

Supposedly they know from where it was sent, which means they should have a record of when it was dropped off and hopefully security footage of who dropped it off.

1 Like

Well, now that it’s impacted a facet of ‘Big Business,’ maybe something will get done about this atrocity.

4 Likes
9 Likes

The news stories are a mess.

A second un-exploded FedEx bomb was found.

An explosion at an Austin Goodwill store was apparently unrelated, using an artillery simulator.

(You can blow stuff up, but if you hurt a tree you will have to file paperwork soldier!)

3 Likes