Australia is searching the desert for a dangerous radioactive capsule smaller than a penny

Imagine if they didn’t check though, and they found out later that they had prematurely ended the search.

1 Like

Good news: we found the radioactive tictac of death.
Bad news: we also found these other three.

13 Likes

To be fair it was done with the support of an obsequious Australian PM Robert Menzies who was such a Royal fan even the British PM found it embarrassing.

I Was the Very Model of a Commonwealth Prime Minister

I was the very model of a Commonwealth prime minister
I never had a single thought original or sinister
I echoed the opinions of the British with impunity
And made myself their vassal at the slightest opportunity

18 Likes

The Office Pam GIF

9 Likes

Not mine - Max Gillies with script help from the late great John Clarke.

Took me a few mins to find this…Gillies also does a striking “Diamond” Jim McLellan as royal commissioner.

6 Likes

So far, nothing.

5 Likes

Gone too soon, and we were damn lucky to have him as long as we did.

7 Likes

I found out the US immigration desks at Toronto airport have some sort of radiation scanner; I had some sort of blood flow test that required an injection of something radioactive.

Less than a week later I had to travel. The immigration officer immediately sent me to the “extra attention” room, where I was asked about radiation. They weren’t happy that I didn’t have a letter from my doctor about this, but after a few phone calls, I was allowed to go.

Possibly related… I was once woken up by someone jackhammering in my driveway. I go out to find a crew from the city digging near my house where the gas meter sits. No permission, no warning, 7am and they’re digging for something.

Turns out they routinely drive around city streets with some sort of gas detecting apparatus and it detected gas coming from the vertical connection from the main line, ~6’ below my driveway. This is a good 20’ from the road, so pretty good detector!

3 Likes

I expect it was Thallium then. This was one of the more common radioactive sources we’d come across and is commonly used in cardiac imaging.

I dont know why they dug up your driveway though!

5 Likes

To fix the leak. In the ~1" line at the 90 joint where it turned upwards to get to my meter.

1 Like

Oh joy. Because ordinary thallium isn’t toxic enough…

2 Likes

Curiously, we’ve recently entered the Year of the Rabbit, so it would be logical to raise the spectre that forms the major plot element of “The Year of the Angry Rabbit” by Russell Braddon.

1 Like

Meanwhile, the street in front of my house smelled like gas randomly for over 7 years, we reported it and they dug it up again and again and never figured out a solution.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.