Australia says cash about to become illegal for purchases over $7,500

That explains America’s asinine gun laws.

and vice versa!

I think people should be able to do with their bodies as they please.

Me too.

I don’t think people should be able to do with other peoples bodies as they please - and a lot of cash goes there.

No, I can’t. It came out about the time the Panama Papers came out, and they went undercover to a Swiss bank and a Belgian shell company. It might have been by the same group of reporters, but I really can’t say.

“Yes, yes, the car’s total value is $15,000. But there’s a limit of one share per customer. Perhaps you and your associate would each like to buy a share for $7499.99?”

“That’ll be $7500 and 5.68 oz of gold, please.”

This idea of cascading crimes is so short-sighted, illogical, and ridiculous it could only be conceived by inept failures grasping at straws to find some way to appear successful when they’re totally incompetent at their jobs. It seems to stem from the ‘War on Drugs’.

There’s nothing inherently wrong about paying cash, nor is there anything inherently wrong with drugs. But people who were incompetent at reducing crime could claim a correlation between drug use and crime, and therefore outlaw drugs, giving them a much larger pool of ‘criminals’ to arrest. More arrests must make them look more successful, right? Maybe they even got bonuses for being so successful. So what next… Drugs are expensive, so outlaw money and you’ll have a much bigger pool of ‘criminals’ to arrest and therefore look much more successful.

What’s next? What is correlated with having cash? Perhaps next they outlaw small businesses, the elderly, the poor, coin collectors, and lock up the entire working class and seize all their assets.

On second thought, cascading loosely correlated things into crimes could perhaps have been conceived by a wealthy brilliant racist mastermind intent on taking over the world and subjugating everyone else. But that’s rather into conspiracy theory territory. Hanlon’s Razor, never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. But that doesn’t rule out malice, and the effect is the same with or without it.

6 Likes

Not even that. Australia’s scapegoating of smokers for cheap political points is ridiculous.
From the Sydney airport site (dept of Home Affairs is down):

2 Likes

It is illegal to pay over €1000 in cash in France and Italy, Spain’s limit is €2500, Belgium is €3000, etc… This is old news.

Certainly doesn’t mean we should be quiet about it, of course.

5 Likes

Addendum, everyone who isn’t male, rich, straight, cis-gendered, and white, I’m sure you mean! :wink:

5 Likes

Technically, if you are rich enough, you can also be female, gay, transgendered and any colour you want. :clown_face:

3 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. Organized crime makes a lot of it’s money from prostitution and drugs. There is violence, but that is a product of the fact they can’t call the police for a theft the way a dispensary can. So I’m not understanding how you’ve addressed my previous comment.

No. There can still be consequences. You’ll be insulated from them in ways that the working classes won’t be. but it’s still not easy street like it is for white, straight, cisgendered, men.

3 Likes

No banksters or gangsters will ever be caught for this. They’ve already greased the right palms.

It’s the small businessman and tradesman who work off the books for cash. They’re the targets, they’re the ones cheating the king of his shilling. They’ll go down, hard.

2 Likes

and a lot from property crime, murder, extortion, betting, and blackmail.

Oh I am sorry I was talking about crimes with victims, which also pay well and are not performed solely to protect your two examples of crimes.

In fact, you’ve seemingly focused on acts which are to some degree self-inflicted to the exclusion of all other acts. You’ve left violence against others pretty much off the list.

Your failure to see, don’t expect me to resolve that for ya. I could explain it all day, for you, but I can’t understand it for you

Betting is another activity that should be legal, and as I previously mentioned when you can’t call the police you have to resort to violence (including murder) to protect your business.

As for blackmail/extortion, I’d love to see some figures on it’s prevalence, but I don’t think we can create a crime free society and reject the notion that the benefits of a cash free society outweigh the costs.

Maybe we should consider better enhancing our social safety net so people don’t feel incentivized to participate in organized crime, rather than revoke everyone’s fundamental right to privacy on account of a few bad apples.

I feel like the utility of 500 notes is vastly overrated when bad actors can smuggle millions with an assful of diamonds, pulp fiction style

1 Like

Fiction. It’s in the title ffs.

White, straight, cisgendered men have valid individual life experiences.

No one said other wise. White cis-gendered straight men are not the ONLY people with valid individual life experiences, however. They are also more often than not “playing” life at the easiest setting. That certainly doesn’t mean they don’t experience pain and suffering in life, because that is common for all of us. However, there are often not subjected to some of the things others are subjected to on a regular basis. The inability to understand that crucial point is the problem.

6 Likes

That’s a metaphor I’ve always liked. It doesn’t oversimplify… it can be a bit tricky to explain to non-gamers, of course, but that means conversation happens. :slight_smile: