Australia's new logo looks like coronavirus stock art

Unfortunately we are continuing to work on making animals extinct so it would be a continually growing logo. Not sure we have enough time and space to do it justice.

2 Likes

That one is pretty good. Why not just make it the same logo for everything?

3 Likes

That’s all I could think of, as well. Ignorant Americans, eh?

A GIF, then.

2 Likes

At around 100 items, it’s comparable to the list of species made extinct by the people who turned up before Europeans.

White people have a monopoly on a lot of things. Being dicks to the environment isn’t one of them.
A cursory glance at everything as small as Easter Island and Nauru through to everything as large as China shows that’s just a human thing.

6 Likes

Lots of species became extinct in the Americas after people crossed the landbridge. eg. the woolly Mammoth.

2 Likes

OH WOW!

I hate it.

It looks like the NBN logo

I was wondering if maybe they’re trying to attract people to come for goldmining? Seems a little passé though :thinking:

theregoestheplanet

“presumably cost taxpayers millions of dollars”: millions, no less? Source?

It’s very vaguely suggestive of the east and west coastlines, but if I saw that logo out of context I’d assume it was for an Australian web development company.

Well…

From your first link:

We concluded that exactly 100 plant and animal species are validly listed as having become extinct in the 230 years since Europeans colonised Australia

And from the wikipedia link:

Most evidence points to a 20,000 year period after human arrival circa 63,000 BCE

So, if the number of species on the two lists are ‘comparable’ as you say, then given the staggering length of time humans have inhabited Australia vs. the 230 years of European colonisation, I’d say us white folk aren’t doing too well in that comparison of yours.

It’s a bit like saying I can travel a comparable distance on my pushbike as I can in my car.

It’s true, it’s just the car gets me there so much faster.

Now, would the original settlers have torn through the fauna at a similar rate if they’d had the technology that is available nowadays? Who knows.

10 million no less. And to a supporter and donor of the governing party no less!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.