Author of 'Fire and Fury' says Trump "has less credibility than, perhaps, anyone who has ever walked on earth"

There has been a good amount of talk about his past prevarications, specifically Burn Rate, although i remember no specifics. But it’s worth remembering that this sort of book is more collaborative than we tend to acknowledge. And his editor is apparently wonderfully “fastidious”.

8 Likes

He reminds me a lot of Kitty Kelley, who was famously described as a “professional sensationalist”; the intent is to cloak gossip in a veneer of substance. That doesn’t, of course, make it not true, but it can muddy the waters for later work on the same subject.
Having said that, in this case, I don’t think it changes anything - other than Wolff’s bank balance, of course. The percentage that still support Trump will continue to support Trump. And I can’t believe that anyone else is going to have their mind changed.

4 Likes

Swap that for “Humility” and I’d give you TWO likes :smile:

(Unless I misread your use of Mariah Carey for that clapping GIF, in which case, carry on)

2 Likes

And it’s not Regenery Publications- it’s a top line publisher.

But I do need to wonder; could anyone who wasn’t without some aroma of sleaze have gained access to this administration?

But ultimately, it’s not the messenger that matters. It’s whether a significant portion of the message is true.

And whether those reported tapes help lead Mueller to some fruitful inquiries.

9 Likes

Meanwhile, Fox “News” is literally wailing “Butbut, her EMAILS!!”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/05/ig-report-on-clinton-email-case-document-dump-could-hold-new-year-bombshells.amp.html

18 Likes

I don’t like Hillary Clinton that much, but at this point, I will happily donate money to her legal defense fund. Nothing I’d like to see more than all these a-holes in Congress and the Executive go down in a ball of flames.

3 Likes

26 Likes
5 Likes

Hell, it’s not telling us anything that’s not obvious about Trump - he’s stupid, self-centered, childish, can’t help but strike out, is cognitively impaired - Trump demonstrated many of these qualities just in his response to this book. If everyone around him realizes that, that says something about them - that they’re cynical opportunists trying to take advantage of a dotard. But we pretty much already knew that, since that, too, was demonstrated by many of those around Trump. If there’s anything new here, it’s the details of Trump’s dysfunction and decline, but they’re kind of extraneous given his public behavior.

Trump’s response is pretty telling - claiming it’s all lies after treating it as accurate, claiming they never met (when that’s easily verifiable), it makes Trump less credible and the book more so.

20 Likes

You think Barron has a copy under his pillow? I was just thinking if I ever read something of this sort about my father. Wow. That kid is going to need (additional) serious therapy.

7 Likes

This undermines the entire book. He may have gotten wrong who was in a crowd eating at a restaurant - that he didn’t quote.

4 Likes

That’s basically what I’ve been telling the people who claim it’s all lies-that we can see almost all that stuff just by watching him on TV.

3 Likes

I never said it undermines the entire thing, and neither did Berman.

But these kinds of inaccuracies will be used by Trumpists to cast doubt on the rest of the story. Nor is this the only error being pointed out.

Everybody’s so busy falling over themselves to get to the popcorn GIFs as the GOP is dismantling Medicare/Medicaid.

Sure, it’s entertaining, but this book isn’t going to fix the problem. There’s no smoking gun in here to bring down anybody.

I have a real uneasy feeling here that the American public is being played.

12 Likes

Maybe it’s just because I like alliteration, but I quite like “Sloppy Steve”.

Maybe my next band should be “Sloppy Steve and the Deplorables”.

13 Likes

Coming from Wolff, who’s known in the NYC media-industrial complex for throwing anyone and anything under the bus and for cutting corners to get ahead, it’s a particularly damning statement. That’s mainly due to the fact the Wolff has himself admitted to his own flaws (something that a case study in narcissistic arrested development like his subject never would).

Wolff is very good at getting himself into rooms and parties and conversations someone of his economic and social class would not be able to. He’s also very good at distilling the essential truths of what he overhears into something that people who are not billionaires and power-brokers can grasp. I hope this time he behaved like a real journalist and that his editor, John Sterling, rode him hard to support his work.

7 Likes

I’m a little bit less sanguine about the editor now.

On the other hand, it seems it was a mistake, not intentional falsehood:

7 Likes

gawd i love bullies

1 Like
  1. They’re lies we already knew.

So that’s…three halves.

calling larson calling larson

tell us something we didn’t already know