Awesome Song Thread!

What the hell, this thread is long enough now (plus I only just thought of it), so this won’t look too bad.

Here’s my cousin’s band (but genuinely, I do like them), it’s not just nepotism :smile:

And some other stuff I thought of:

4 Likes

The metal version helped some, but the dad parody made it worse :slight_smile:

I was really hoping for a Wesley Willis cover, but he had to die on us.

5 Likes

Talking They Might Be Giants

“Your Racist Friend”

“Nothing’s Gonna Change My Clothes”

8 Likes

These Ukulele covers kind of remind me of the Amanda Palmer Radiohead ones

Talking Ukulele Jake Shimabukuro - “Bohemian Rhapsody”

1 Like

It must exist… pretty much EVERYONE did some sort of Let it go parody or cover in the last year or so. A jazzed up version must exist.

1 Like

I love the whole radio head uke album. I got that shit on vinyl… I loves me some AFP (totally bummed her book tour isn’t coming here).

And Shimabukuro is awesome. I think he is actually coming to town…

Also, do you know Taimane Gardner?

And her Toccatta by Bach is outstanding with a tiny hat, no less! (I think I saw this here a couple of years ago?):

5 Likes

I started a new thread, Letting go of “Let it Go” so people would have a place to drop decent covers of that song if they found them. I also posted two more (fairly good) covers there. Jazzy covers of that song aren’t easy to find, probably because the music is already Broadway which is jazz-based. Most of the jazz covers are instrumentals that closely follow the original orchestration.

1 Like

Jimmy Buffet covering Lord Richard Buckley’s God’s Own Drunk in '78 or '79. So lost, I can’t find this version on youtube or within 2 pages of google-fu.

(don’t listen to the other versions, this is the one you want)

This one could be considered as a contender for the other thread, but Stump were quite the influence on me back in the late 80s and this is firmly on the awesome side of the Picket Fence of Insanity.

If you like Primus, this’ll be right up your street. If not, well, good luck.

4 Likes

Before I saw Frozen and understood what everybody was going on about (not empathised with, since Frozen’s “Let It Go” is crap compared to “Summer”, the best song in the movie), this was I associated “Let it Go” with. Say what you will about their gimmicky videos, I think the videos are lots of fun.

4 Likes

And yet there’s this:

Some background on the singer, Harry Rose.

This (uncut) was a bonus on something I saw this year. Broadway Melody (of 1929), I think. Which drove me up the wall with their trying to drive the song into my head; I gave up counting after the 7th rendition. I liked the d**n song before this movie. Now I have mixed feelings.

Anyway. I want a hot dog.

he’s a prick, for sure. but he could rock with the best of 'em.

true dizzle. that used to be my stock-in-trade. Hip Hop is a never-ending rabbit-hole for a honky like me. For example, a Freda Payne track

begets a JVC Force track

which begets an Urban Dance Squad track (from the Netherlands!)

whom I saw perform this touring as the opener for Living Colour. I’d never actually seen this video before–cameos by Henry Rollins, Flea (he was in everything, though, lol) and Ice-T! UDS is dated, but also severely under-rated. Basically the only group (since R. Rubin is a producer) to really do rock/rap crossover properly, IMO. and they were first.

All are awesome songs, to me.

5 Likes
2 Likes

How about some Mellowdrone (which was Jonathan Bates)?

Bates is now leading Big Black Delta. (Slight change in volume here.)

2 Likes

Hunted down an answer for the absence. Turns out that (of course, it’s Jimmy Buffett) it’s an entertaining story. (from his Wiki page)

The earliest controversy with Buffett was his recording of “God’s Own Drunk” found on the live recorded album You Had to Be There. In 1983 the son of the late entertainer Lord Buckley sued Buffett for $11 million for copyright infringement claiming that Buffett took parts of the monologue from Buckley’s A Tribute to Buckley and claimed it as his own work in “God’s Own Drunk”. The suit also alleged that Buffett’s “blasphemous” rendition presented to the public a distorted impression of Lord Buckley.[38] A court injunction against Buffett prevented him from performing the song until the lawsuit was settled or resolved, so sometime starting in 1984 (Concord Pavilion Aug 15th actually heard) Buffett would get to the part of his show where he would normally perform “God’s Own Drunk,” he would say that he still wasn’t allowed to play it because of the lawsuit and instead played a song he wrote called “The Lawyer and the Asshole” in which he accuses Buckley’s son and lawyers as being greedy and tells them to “kiss his ass.”

This may be the right version - one commenter seemed happy about the find.

1 Like

Never got much into their “new wave” stuff but love their earlier work:

Another Great Divide - Split Enz

2 Likes

Former Split-Enz member Phil Judd’s band The Swingers:

Counting the Beat - The Swingers

2 Likes

I knew he was in Mano Negra but I know Manu Chao mostly from his Clandestino album. Man, I must’ve listened to that tape a million times.

@Daneel great call on the Sweet post

oy, this thread is moving too fast, I can’t keep up!

1 Like