Awful Song Thread!

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t sure which of the two threads to put this in:

4 Likes

IT GOES IN THE OTHER THREAD YOU A**HAT.

There are so many really good Blondie songs. So why does THIS thing always get airplay when Iā€™m listening?

3 Likes

Could be worse. At least it isnā€™t Rapture.

Where does this one go, then?

2 Likes

And now that I think of songs with bad rappingā€¦

Other thread. He knows heā€™s a crap singer. So he doesnā€™t sing. Itā€™s not like he mooning about Bilbo Bagginsā€¦

2 Likes

the other one. I kind of love this cover.

Edited to add: Now this goes straight into this one:

Also, this belongs here:

This goes in the other:

Edited to add: also, @OtherMichael, get out of my head! :wink:

6 Likes

The fact that the record-buying masses of the UK sent this to #1 ahead of Vienna by Ultravox is a significant contributor to this trackā€™s sheer awfulness.

1 Like

And as a bonus, a reminder of the cringiest, most embarrassing time to be British ever. I fucking loathe this song. Itā€™s nauseating. Cannot bear it.

And also, because, well, Cliff Richard:

1 Like

The following two pieces of awfulness both managed to top the charts in the UK.

In all fairness to Ride on Time, the #1s either side of it were Jive Bunny.

There was a lot of popular crap that year. But also Simple Minds.

http://www.number-ones.co.uk/1989-number-ones.html

Not to be mistaken for the New York Dolls:

1 Like

Down the rabbbit-hole of British punk for me todayā€¦

2 Likes

I had a summer job where Heart FM played through the tannot. This shit was on permanent rotation with Dr Jones by the above Aqua. I wanted to stab someone for playing this crap.

Enjoy!

6 Likes

I feel your pain. Take solace in the fact that it could have been an Xmas job.

There is a special hell reserved for Jingle Bell Rock, where itā€™s a cold and sleety December Thursday in Weston-Super-Mare, and the fug of damp pensioners and the unemployed queuing at the checkouts in PoundWorld stretches time to itā€™s very limits as glacial seconds ooze slowly past towards quitting time. The line growing ever longer and the heat from the propane blower sucks all the oxygen from the air until, on the verge of unconsciousness, your grip on sanity becomes ever more tenuous. As your vision tunnels away down to a soft, grey nothingness, still echoing around your head are the nonsense phrases, spiraling round as your last coherent thought is ā€œJingle bell time is a swell timeā€¦ā€

See, Helms! See what monsters you have wrought! See what you have unleashed upon us and burn!

ā€¦

So yeah, at least thereā€™s that. :smiley:

4 Likes

We could just do a whole Country Christmas thread.

1 Like

Ha ha, when this song was topping the charts, there was some kind of pot smoking or drug scandal at the University of Alabama. So it was a big joke in the state that the Tide (aka The Crimson Tide) is High and every time I hear this song thatā€™s what I think about.

2 Likes