Baby gets mad when mom has blank expression

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/09/baby-gets-mad-when-mom-has-bla.html

3 Likes

This explains a lot.

6 Likes

And this year’s Ig Nobel Prize goes to Dr. Edward Tronick for his study: “Are Babies Bad at Staring Contests?”

15 Likes

Resting mom face?

27 Likes

This is not surprising given that neutral expressions on women cause man-babies to get upset about “resting bitch face.”

24 Likes

cool, now i know how to piss off babies.

17 Likes

I have my resting Dad face on right now.

5 Likes

It would have to be a lifetime achievement or something – his paper was from the early 70’s.

2 Likes

Poe’s law.

I don’t think the still face had much to do with it. She stopped touching him and talking to him. If she had continued to talk to him and play with him while keeping a still face he probably would have been fine with it.

4 Likes

…let’s see what happens when we take away the puppy…

7 Likes

Why are you against science because it reinforces things you don’t like?

Anyway, do a study on dads and prove its both parents.

I just like experiments that make babies cry

10 Likes

Wow, I actually found watching the baby trying to desperately regain the attention of the mother really quite painful to watch.

No wonder I was putty in my babies’ chubby hands.

10 Likes

This is quite interesting because I know quite a lot of ‘right-on’ parents - and I do this too - will tend to respond to misbehaviour by ignoring the child or giving them a stern look (i.e. a blank face). But this behaviour might as well be calculated to exacerbate and embed bad behaviours, turning them into ingrained habits.

4 Likes

Where can I watch more baby torture?

2 Likes

Alternating between “still face” and smiling interaction with a baby (I’m only talking moments, here, not 2 minutes like the baby-torture video) is as good as playing peek-a-boo. Babies have almost zero social filter, so you can watch them go through all the mental gymnastics:

“Yay, we’re having fun! We’re having fun, right? What’s going on? Did I do something wrong? Am I stinky? Why are you being so mean - Oh, we’re having fun again! Yay!”

8 Likes

But when you give a cell phone to the baby, I notice the baby becomes quickly disinterested in the parent.

2 Likes

Babies don’t care you about you, man.

Sorry kid; if you don’t want a blank stare, you’ll need to become a better conversationalist.

2 Likes