Baby squirrel wakes, yawns

Originally published at: Baby squirrel wakes, yawns | Boing Boing

14 Likes

That humans are still capable of caring about other creatures gives me a small amount of hope for our future.

The true test is caring about other creatures that are not cute, especially those that one finds abhorrent.

2 Likes

What about yawning critters that oscillate between cute and creepy?

10 Likes

Fine, as long as they’re not large enough to consume me.

And centipedes.

Oh, and spiders. Definitely not spiders.

6 Likes

I still can’t believe this didn’t make my skin crawl:

I’m gonna blame Charlotte’s Web for removing my fear of fictional, anthropomorphized arachnids.

6 Likes

26 Likes

Lucas 4 eva :sparkling_heart: :spider:

7 Likes

Only the cute little peacock jumping spiders. Everything else gives me th’ seriousest heebie jeebies.

I have made friends with a coupla spiders. One I knew in high school, named Boris, lived behind our bathroom sink, and would occasionally run around on the bar of soap. I have no idea why s/he didn’t scare me. Another was a lickle b&w jumping spider in my room.

I freaked TF out when tiny me saw an upended dead horseshoe crab on a Flaaarida beach. Soooo many legs. Nightmare-inducing trauma. I got over it and love horseshoe crabs now, but, damn, that was scary.

More on-topic, mom and I raised a baby squirrel. We fed him with a plastic syringe until he was old enough for actual food. It was a delightful, very rewarding experience. Mom began putting him out in our tree in the backyard for longer and longer periods. He did not relish his first whole night outside. He wasn’t ready yet. He came running into the house in the morning, jumped right into his cage, ate all the food in there, and slept all day. He hung out with us for most of the evening, then slept thru the night. Our friends were amazed and adored him, too.

One day when he was almost fully grown, he just didn’t come back in. :smiley: He was ready to fend for himself.

4 Likes

But… Lucas is adorable!

3 Likes

His voice reminds me of my nephew’s when he was a kid. :face_holding_back_tears: He and Charlotte are the only exceptions to my “no spiders” rule. I keep my distance from them…and adult squirrels IRL. Too many traumatic episodes with both in the past.

2 Likes

The squirrels can sleep soundly, knowing they’re well defended:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.