So you're wondering what a 7-week old baby red squirrel sounds like

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/24/so-youre-wondering-what-a-7.html

8 Likes

Hopefully this works out well. I have attempted rescue on 3 different birds. When i was a child, I rescued a bird that became so imprinted on humans, that it wouldn’t leave. The results led to the bird’s demise.
I have no pets and a fenced yard. There have been 2 birds that I attempted to rescue by just providing food and water to while keeping a distance from them. Both eventually were gone, hopefully leading normal lives.

8 Likes

But . . . they’re . . . squirrels.

4 Likes

Yes. It says so right there in the headline.

I think they’re cute and fuzzy and wish them well.

21 Likes

And the most nefarious and destructive of all of the squirrels at that. I hope for their sake they stay deep in the woods cavorting freely without the opportunity to intermingle with human civilization.

5 Likes

squeeee!!!

7 Likes

I rather think grey squirrels are worse, in those stakes.

3 Likes

Might help if we stopped building our houses and businesses in their environments?

4 Likes

How about the real problem with squirrels and humans in the woods…

6 Likes

Yes, red squirrels… :grin: :heart:

Ever since watching one square off up its tree dammit against mummy raccoon and two babies, with the squirrel bouncing up and down on all fours just like the cartoons, they get my vote. Spunk and then some.

5 Likes

I love this part:

Don’t be fooled! Feed them, yes. Help them survive. But do not let them into the house!!!

4 Likes

I wonder what he’s saying?

My best guess, watching how adult squirrels behave in my backyard: “Hey is my acorn I eat. Is not yours. Is very tasty acorn and is mine!”

4 Likes

They refused to sign any paperwork. We were at an impasse.

3 Likes

maybe we wouldn’t be if as a society, we gave a shit about the environment, but here we are. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Grays are nuisance pests and birdfeeder terrorists, but they seem to stay away from dwellings. Reds seem to have a knack for finding gaps in siding and burrowing around in insulation like nobodies business… they seem far better at it than even mice, at least in the area where I grew up. Can’t blame them for doing so, but doesn’t mean I had to like it.

3 Likes

You messed with the squirrels Morty! Now we have to run!

2 Likes

Ah - fair enough.

2 Likes

Have to disagree there, if you are referring to these little adorable rats with fluffy tails:

They have chewed their way into the last three houses I’ve lived in (rental or owned). They are notorious wiring and insulation chewers, noisy as hell romping around in the attic spaces and persistent as hell, making them tough to evict.

4 Likes

Should we split this off into a thread of its own… one about Trump?

5 Likes

Definitely expected this squirrel to mention arresting the cops who murdered Breonna Taylor.

1 Like