Bachelorette parties "destroying LGBTQ+ safe spaces" in Provincetown

Originally published at: Bachelorette parties "destroying LGBTQ+ safe spaces" in Provincetown | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Straight dudes fucked it up for everyone again, huh?

35 Likes

Woo woo girls taking over P Town?

thats-crazy-brian

6 Likes

Oh great, and I thought humanity was running out of ways to be awful to one another. /s

2 Likes

This was a plot point in an episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend a few years ago.

4 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

10 Likes

Just ban them. Ban them on site. Kick them out immediately and bounce them from your clubs. This is what we’ve done in Portland and yeah sure, the heteros got upsetteros, but seriously. Fuck them.

I have nothing against women, I really don’t. But until you’ve been enjoying a night in a gay bar and then had it crashed by 50 very drunk women who must have been pregaming elsewhere and are touchy feely to all the guys, it’s… well… it’s a scene killer. Now do it three times a week during wedding season, and suddenly you don’t have a gay bar anymore, you’ve got a bachlorette party bar with some meat on the shelf.

25 Likes

Ah yes the classic internet anecdote, “Bartender explains why he swiftly kicks out Bachelorettes even if they’re ‘not bothering anyone’”

28 Likes

Anyway, I asked what that was about and the bartender was like, “you didn’t see her vest but it was all Bachelorette shit. Hearts and stuff. You get to recognize them.”

28 Likes

Yikes, ‘the Nazi bar’ analogy?

16 Likes

The same situation occurs in Canal Street in Manchester, UK. You can see gangs of women with “Hen Party” sashes parading down the street and think WTAF?

5 Likes

Nashville, TN, is now a national destination city for bachelorette parties. There are entire online guides devoted to what to do while in the city for the occasion.

10 Likes

They missed an opportunity to call this “hentrification”.

41 Likes

Why can’t they just rent a party bus like everyone else?

12 Likes

It absolutely hecked up Tribe and Play for a bit down there because of the whole woo-girl scene. Thank goodness 2nd ave exists.

3 Likes

Two of my favorite places. When we moved from the area that was a real loss for us. We never went there on our own–two close male friends of ours who were married used to take us there a lot. I get why any heteros would want to go–they are incredibly fun, welcoming, safe spaces.

7 Likes

Totally are! When we lived down there we went often! And absolutely the straight allies are welcome there, by all means, I’m not gatekeeping that place. But goodness, I could only take so much of vodka-tonic’d up woo girls slurring “You’RE A GAY? I can make you straightttt!” per week.

18 Likes

Ugh. As dumb and ugly as straight guys saying that to lesbians.

The fun part was when guys would do that to me, my friend and I had a routine where he’d jump in and say that I had already promised myself to him as my first, and I’d say “It’s true, we made a deal. Sorry.” Then we’d start in on “where will it be? The couch? The pool?” and laugh, and it usually defused things.

11 Likes

We had this issue in Seattle for the longest time, not Bachelorettes, but straight girls who would go to gay men’s clubs to not get hit on constantly. Straight guys would then go there and try to hit on the women (since they assumed they’d be straight).

The LGBTQ+ community responded with “gay raids” on straight clubs to see how the heteros liked it. The struggle continues.

15 Likes

Those things are pricey! Walking into a club is free :confused:

I will say, depending how large and how drunk they are, bachalorette parties can be exhausting. I have been to straight clubs and left because it just got to be a nuisance.

5 Likes