Bachelorette parties "destroying LGBTQ+ safe spaces" in Provincetown

Sorry. I forgot to mention they should lock the doors of the bus until the end of the night. Or just keep moving above 50 mph, like in Speed.

10 Likes

Wait, there’s non-penis confetti?

18 Likes

Good.

1 Like

Given the creativity in the gay community, seems like it would be the PERFECT opportunity to create a bar/nightclub that would cater specifically to the bachelorette parties.

5 Likes

Yep, Savannah/Tybee here. Weeknights can see a couple/few hen parties rolling around, but weekends explode.

They’re easy to spot even IF they’re not decked out in loud shirts or sash/veiled brides; they are always noisy and trailing around together with big drinks in hand. They want attention, and they’ll demand it, shriek for it, or dance on tables for it.

The local barflies live for this; nothing is easier to snag than a late-stage woo girl culled from the herd at 2am. The STD rate in this area is astronomical.

7 Likes

Maybe there should be a concerted effort from the lesbian community to crash bachelorette parties and poach straight girls from them?

3 Likes

I was going to say that this seems like a problem that capitalism ought to be able to solve: if there’s a demand for female-friendly safe spaces for straight women who don’t want to deal with straight men right now, surely the invisible hand of the market ought to create some. But then I realized that as far as the bachelorettes are concerned, the market has solved the problem by creating those oh-so-convenient gay bars.

Of course, the more fundamental problem described in the article is “people being entitled assholes with no consideration for others”. Not only has capitalism not solved this problem, but it often seems designed from the ground up to exacerbate it or even weaponize it.

8 Likes

Yeah it’s insane. Yet another reason to never go downtown. Pussycat used to drive horse carriages for the tourists down Lower Broadway but got out of it years ago due to the escalating drunken assholery. The whole area is an avoid zone for locals now.

4 Likes

I’m a het dude and I went to Play once years ago to see John Digweed. Nice place.

That night and this discussion reminded me of an experience in the 90’s when I had moved back to Nashville after collage. I took my out of state girlfriend to my old haunts and belatedly realized that the bar I used to go to all the time was a lesbian bar. I had never noticed! But I go to bars to drink, not to hit on women.

2 Likes

Well, presumably the owners of these gay bars are happy to ring up that many vodka tonics and chardonnays and have balanced the inconvenience to their patrons v. their bottom lines.

This has been a chronic problem in the whole history of lesbian clubs, for sure. When I was active in the community 20 years ago, it was a constant source of stress. People don’t appreciate how fragile lesbian spaces are.

Most “gay bars” are gay mens’ spaces, and that’s totally fine. Genuine lesbian spaces are very rare and full time “lesbian bars” are nearly nonexistent. Mostly what we get is one night a week in a club that is normally something else. The main reason is a stereotypically economic one- lesbians don’t go out as much and don’t drink as much as the men tend to, so it’s hard to keep a bar afloat. It’s a fact of the two cultures and that’s not a judgement against the boys at all. You guys do you!

What this means, though, is that when lesbians do manage to scrape together a night or a couple nights in a club per week just for us, it’s very fragile and easily ruined by a dumb herd of woo girls wanting to get drunk and kiss a girl for the first time since college. They don’t appreciate how damaging that is for those of us who are not tourists here and are trying to actually maybe meet someone for something real in one of the extremely few places in the world where that is possible.

19 Likes

Yes, exactly. Nobody creates a lesbian bar (or night- see my post above) because they are a good capitalist. They get created with a hopeful sense of community and a “build it and they will come” attitude. It never really works though, and within a year almost every full time lesbian bar converts to men (or mixed, then men) or closes down.

If a few manage to stay afloat longer by mixing cosmos and appletinis for woo girls, they certainly will.

6 Likes

There was just a related article about that in Portland. The previous lesbian bar, The Egyptian Club, closed in 2010, then there was over a 10 year gap. Now there’s a new one, but it’s facing it’s own challenges - not the least of which was that it was overwhelmed on opening night!

4 Likes

No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

3 Likes

I’ve been out of the scene for many years, but back then even San Francisco couldn’t manage to hold down a lesbian bar. The one hold-out was always The Lexington, which was a tiny dive bar for friendly dykes on bikes, which is why I think it survived (that’s the one tiny subset of hard-drinking lesbians, and bi-curious woo girls were too scared to go in there :joy:). However I’m sad to see it closed in 2015. Then LA had GirlBar for a few years but that died as well. If a city of 13,000,000 can’t keep a lesbian bar, safe to say it may not be possible. Places like The Abbey in LA truck along as mixed spaces, sometimes with a “ladies’ night” (which amusingly means the opposite of what it does in the straight world). In places like that, it’s the boys that are keeping the lights on (and we thank them for that).

Online dating may have killed lesbian bars forever though. Once there was a way to meet people without having to unhook the U-Haul, well, that was that.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Good? It’s not like they are driving away customers at Kid Rock’s or the Grand Ol Opry Mall…

1 Like

Exactly.

" Then other employees anonymously formed a workers’ collective and demanded the bar’s owners turn the business over to them"

WTAF?

3 Likes

Finally those of us atypicals, gay and straight, who just find nothing exciting about large drunken crowds of dancing party people: WIN!!!

4 Likes