Back when campaigns were fun: Dukakis cigarettes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/03/back-when-campaigns-were-fun-dukakis-cigarettes.html

3 Likes

I remember that election! That was the one where we could have ended up with our first Lesbian president. Well, Lesbian-American I should say; his family came from Lesbos but he was born here.

The tank photo is what tanked him, according to some (see what I did there?). He still got my vote, of course.

5 Likes

Because I had to look, Bush had a pack too:

Too bad we couldn’t filter out the Bush.

6 Likes

I unfortunately can’t find a picture, but the last Progressive Conservative premier of Alberta, Jim Prentice, had campaign beer brewed in 2015. He was mostly notable for losing in a surprise landslide to the fourth place party, ending 44 years of one party rule in the province.

3 Likes

Really? Soft packs. Pfft. You’d need to tap those before even opening it.

Get a cardboard pack for a few cents more. Just sayin.

2 Likes

I’ve still got my box of 2004 Dem Convention Kraft Mac and Cheese - prepper food!

5 Likes

Not exactly campaign material, but this is my last remaining unopened can of Billy Beer, Jimmy Carter’s brother’s special brew. It is one of two I found in an antique store in VA. One evening we were having a cookout and an 8 year old decided to crack the other one open. Of course we all tried it.

Incidentally, Mrs Peas found a copy of Playboy from my birth month. It had a profile of Billy Carter talking about the beer project.

5 Likes

Beat me to it. Nothing like having a president whose brother trade on the family name for beer. Although it DOES play well with me because Jimmy’s the one who helped get the laws loosened that allowed craft brewing to become the force it is today (assuming they’re still holding on… hope most of them are, we all need more booze right now).

4 Likes

When I run for President there will be beer and cigarettes for everyone, even if you didn’t vote for me.

3 Likes

So SCOTUS IPA is incoming?

He did get smoked in that election.
(At least in the Electoral Collage, see link above for 1988 election statistics)

2 Likes

My father kept one in the back of the fridge growing up. I think he thought it would make a collector’s item some day.

Not sure what became of it. I suspect my mother threw it out.

1 Like

I hope to see “Harris is dope” edibles in a few years.

2 Likes

came here to say this.

2 Likes

In 1964, my grandmother took my nine-year-old self to a Goldwater rally. I was treated to a can of Goldwater, a yellow soda like mountain dew.
goldwater-soda-can

4 Likes

Remember when it still counted as a major scandal that a member of the President’s family would exploit that secondhand fame for personal profit?

7 Likes

Yeah, what an amateur he was compared to all the little Trumplings.

3 Likes

Granted, it’s a lot easier when the President is actively encouraging/directing you to do it instead of just looking on in embarrassment with the knowledge that there’s nothing he can really do to stop you.

1 Like

Have you checked in the pockets of old jackets?

6 Likes

6 Likes