Bad things await those who confuse orange juice with paint thinner

Originally published at: Bad things await those who confuse orange juice with paint thinner | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Mmmmm…that looks almost as delicious as anti-freeze

18 Likes

You mean grape juice, right?

16 Likes

I think that this would be a much more threatening problem if my hypothetical children were purely visual hunters with a complete absence of olfactory capability.

Paint thinner’s scent is many things; but neither ‘subtle’ nor ‘citrus’ are among them.

13 Likes

That was my thinking, you’d know it when you’re in a room with an open can of paint thinner.

5 Likes

The slightly sinister atmosphere, the ornate script (for lemonade and thinner), and the unusual background music: The Quay Brothers? They have done a few things for TV.

3 Likes

When daughter was only crawling and not even pulling herself up yet we were at the family cottage where my dad was painting.

See where this is going?

She crawled into the room he was painting and bumped into the table where a paint brush was soaking in a jar with paint thinner. The jar tipped over and the thinner was spilling off onto the floor by way of our daughter’s mouth.

She looked like our cats drinking from the faucet.

Minutes later she was in the hospital covered with activated charcoal which does not taste as good as paint thinner.

It was that moment that we learned you really can’t turn your back for even a second.

The ER doctor did explain that a baby’s taste buds are different which would explain why she thought paint thinner was delicious.

37 years later that’s a funny story, back then not so much.

25 Likes

Oh my god, you would absolutely RUIN your paint putting orange juice in it!

14 Likes

Try Southern Comfort & Orange Juice, should taste about the same, without the ER visit as well.

13 Likes

That’s not a straw. When the camera pulls in, it’s a paintbrush. That really doesn’t seem all that weird to me, a container of thinner (maybe don’t use a drinking glass) with a paintbrush in it. Would that cause a kid to drink it? I dunno, depends on the kid, they do stupid death-wishy things all the time, which is exactly why you don’t put paint thinner in a drinking glass. The whole straw that’s actually paint brush thing is kinda not the point.

3 Likes

Given how often mistakes are made in restaurant kitchens where cleaning solutions are put into food service items like pitchers, water glasses and so on, where the people using them have been repeatedly told not to do exactly that-the idea that someone could then ingest whatever was in any given container of random fluid is entirely plausible.

11 Likes

I once downed a paper cup full of isopropyl alcohol that my then wife had in the bathroom next to the sink for sanitizing the thermometer during a family wide flu outbreak. I mistook it for the identical paper cup of water that I had filled moments before to drink after taking my flu pills, so yeah, this sort of thing happens.

14 Likes

Memories light the corners of my mind
misty watercolor memories…

At the height of my drinking Southern Comfort and Orange Juice was at the top of my list in the morning. That was good stuff.

2 Likes

That’s a horrible way to kill a sunrise.

2 Likes

Dear Wife has a tipple of SoCo on dark & stormy :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: nights. Her signature drinkiepoo is Gin and pink lemonade with a splash of SoCo to spice it up. We make our own Meyer Lemonade with a small ratio of pink grapefruit, it’s fantabulous.

5 Likes

Where is the PSA of contusing your kool-aid with the paint brush water?

1 Like

Okay, here it is, the drink that caused me to fall of the roof of a city bus when Detroit won the world series in 1984 and broke my ankle 3 weeks before my wedding.

A pitcher of lemonade with a pint, okay a fifth, of vodka, and a can of beer. Sounds bad but it works.

That’s kind of on topic because that might get confused with paint thinner.

5 Likes

You should call that drink the “brain-thinner”.

You’re welcome…

5 Likes

It has a name, Strip And Go Naked.

We were using some sort of Polish vodka my best man had, the label actually said keep away from open flame.

It’s also reason 356 why I quit drinking decades ago.

7 Likes

Seems like a great fit for

Relevant:

Even more relevant:

14 Likes