Badass Space Dragon 2.0 - Round 4 - Cube Farm

Ella - for Mission 3, what counts as “successful” - undetected return? Or “merely” return with HP > 0" ?

And meaning no disrespect, but do you require equipage at your depot prior to an undertakement of one of your missions?

3 Likes

@patrace - a purely hypothetical question I am posing for a friend-bee who is rather shy and retiring, if possessed of a mind more devious than mine:

Is it possible to stock up on Unizone parts, declare a Unizone mission, but then wheel about and do some task for Ella, having conducted some back-channel communications prior?

If “possible”, are there negatives involved in this scenario (damage, etc) ?

Idle chit-chat, really, for an, uh, wax-and-style game my friend is conduction. Purely numerical, nothing practical. Cough cough.

2 Likes

@bizmail_public
Capitain Falkayn…what Mission 5 are you referring to?

Conduction is your friend…until it isn’t.

But, yeah, I’d be wondering that myself if I had the space bits to make it matter…

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. But hell, now your ‘friend’ has somewhat let the cat out of the ‘hypothetical’ bag.

Never ask what you’re allowed to do - all you do is limit options. If it isn’t explicitly stated, JFDI. Even if it is explicitly stated, do it anyway.

3 Likes

@bizmail_public Captian Falkyn
@micaela
@jlw Everest Fullerton
@Slaal Slaal
@davide405 Natasha Fatale
@Old Zaphod Tiberius Skywalker
@PromptedInk Sorbet Wooster
@messana Lazlo ‘Scuttle’ Deepwalke
@greenglyph Dexter Stokastikos
@Demiurgus Null Set “()” O’Connor

& assorted other alliances:

Gentle-folk, antlered-creatures, fellow captains and carapace-posessors (these categories are not mutually exclusive, although I would be surprised to see all 4 on one personage at once):

You know me from my missions, perhaps we have shared a comradely talk, or the smoke of fellowship.

None of you has yet to call on me for aid, aid that I would not be remiss in yeilding!

Yet it is my time to ask help of you. I find myself in a… situation where I require perhaps a few more StarBits than I currently possesses. I can offer good terms, comfy magnetic boots (although somewhat dusted with pollen, hope you’re not allergic) as collateral, guaranteed repayment*, and perhaps a few kilos of lightly-chewed calming-wax, some immature-grubs that will grow into a loving crew-member, or a few tales for you to tell as your own, with suggestions for modifications and enhancements.

Is there any amongst us who could front b80.0 upon such terms?

I remain, humbly &c,

Savaric Tubertus Wynkn Basiliscos Leontios Palaeologus al Wathiq (Captain).

[L’abeille de la cosmos, c’est moi]

* A space-bee always pays his or her debts.

And who are you, the proud Queen said, 
that I must bow so low? 
Only a bee of a different hive, 
that's all the truth I know. 
In a coat of gold or a coat of black, 
a bee still has a stinger, 
And mine is long and sharp, my Queen, 
as long and sharp as yours. 
And so she spoke, and so she spoke, 
that Queen of Castamere, 
But now the space-rains weep o'er her hive, 
with no one there to hear. 
Yes now the rains weep o'er her hive, 
and not a grub to hear.

To bee honest, I don’t think that ditty has anything to do with debt repayment. But it does have a lovely ring to it, does it not?

5 Likes

FYI.

The A Certain… Moral Flexibility Would Be The Only Way To Describe It is fitted with a grey market anti-theft device that is unfortunately (for some) not compatible with the Unizone Guidance System.

Any attempt to autopilot this ship unless explicitly authorized by myself will have…consequences.

2 Likes

Well now, I have heard many epic tales of rugs that were themselves nascent spaceships eons ago, and of rugs whose attraction to hold a room together was unheralded.

I took such a walloping that I am still working to recollect exactly how I came across such rug while careening out of control avoiding the claw rakes and tail whips of that damned scale slouch and it’s crew, but I will take an odd comfort in this accoutrement to my normally spartan flight deck. I am glad that the occasional visitor and deck hands of this fair ship are housebroken and there is no risk of anyone micturating upon this fine specimen.

6 Likes

Anything is possible.

Captain Jameson, who has probably died of cirrhosis by now,was a master of this.

Put together your mission orders, tell a good story, and see where it goes. Note that mission orders need not be publicly posted here: using private comms to @patrace also works.

As I read thie mission orders, Unizone is only opposing mission 2. They are happy to keep you indebted to them for missions 1,3,4, and 5.

-Falkayn

That’s… not how I read it:

I would find that [opposing #2 only] particularly bizarre in the case of Mission 3, which is … aggregation of visual data on Unizone activities, to be circumspect.

And Mission 5, if I understand correctly, allows one to sleep in, whilst auto-pilot is engaged and your ship’s shields are pushed through performance-testing.

4 Likes

1* b25 - Hull Repairs (10 HP)

3* b25 - Four Leaf Clover (2 LK)

1* b40 – Mission 3

3 Likes

That time has come for me as well. My services are certainly quick and forthright and I have always held my honor high and kept my rack upright at all times not in battle.

In particular, @Slaal Slaal I know we share a common bond in the captainhood of SPEED, and @davide405 - Natasha for our love of all things moose. Any possible arrangement for lloan and repayment or enjoined efforts for profitable missions would be of great welcome. Please join me for tapping my personal cask of honeywine and let us come to a meeting of the minds

2 Likes

Not…necessarily.

As stated, Mission 1 will be automatically selected. But - as noted, forcing the Moral Flexibility into autopilot will result in its complete destruction, my untimely death and potential collateral damage to other nearby vessels. Maybe other ships are similarly equipped? Perhaps Unizone might not really want to force everyone on it.

Or perhaps your ship might not be available to leave the docking bay?

Or maybe you left on your own exploratory mission and are out of range of Unizone’s remote control systems?

2 Likes

there goes one potential community banker 8(

-Falkayn

3 Likes

From each according to ability, to each according to need.

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/5/1/51c35268f9f2f03a56eb404905625a1cc30f9fcd.jpg

Natasha already make private arrangement with @gwwar for loan, but always willing to participate in collectivization.

Natasha put up additional 50b seed funds for great honor of БПMК

7 Likes

I do not see where living life and being a banker are mutually compatible.

3 Likes

Depends how many friends you’re going to need when the going gets rough. Debts and payments come in many forms. Even space lizards cultivate allies.

Helping a good captain through the current difficulty addresses two of the three objectives, one short term and one long term:

Make Money. Stay Alive

-Falkayn

2 Likes

Mostly with an eye toward… harvesting. :wink:

4 Likes

We do not play in a galaxy where friends and bankers are the same thing.

1 Like

Perhaps you are reading a different meaning into “community banker” than the rest of us.

I’m happy to change the honorific to anything more comfortable.

What is your word for “people who help each other out rather than be Ayn Rand atavists”?

–Falkayn

2 Likes