Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh resigns over book grift scandal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/02/baltimore-mayor-catherine-pugh-2.html

‘Healthy Holly’ author in a heap of trouble

5 Likes

Does this mean she has been found? Last I heard she had skedaddled.

From what I’ve read I get the impression she’s a Democrat in the same way that televangelists are Christians.

Hopefully someone better will make it into office.

9 Likes

I am watching for this to become “See, you can’t trust (blacks, women, whatever) in public office.” I suspect “The 5” are already writing an outraged script for this.

9 Likes

Ileana Douglas can play her in the movie.

Ileana_Douglas_cropped

2 Likes

Man, I can only imagine how bummed the illustrator they hired for this would be to find out that not only did the book not really get used, but it’s now embroiled in a crime.

8 Likes

Then you have Trump’s sister who avoided an investigation by resigning:

President Donald Trump’s older sister, Judge Maryanne Trump Barry, recently resigned from her role as a federal appellate judge. By doing so, she ended an investigation into potentially fraudulent tax schemes The New York Times reported last year. The Times report spurred an investigation into whether the tax schemes violated judicial conduct rules.

13 Likes

Welcome the new mayor:

https://www.amazon.com/Opening-Ribbon-Ceremonial-Cutting-Scissors/dp/B007ERDECI/ref=asc_df_B007ERDECI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807964063&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13317212566343423007&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008193&hvtargid=pla-568308254536&psc=1

2 Likes

And a complete set of Healthy Holly books.

2 Likes

You can’t trust politicians in public office.

3 Likes

BALTIMORE CITY COUNCIL: Look, your goose is cooked. why don’t you just resign and lie down on the cart?

MAYOR PUGH: I’m not dead yet!

BALTIMORE CITY COUNCIL (Imploringly to FBI): Isn’t there something you can do?

MAYOR PUGH: I think I’ll go write a book…

(BALTIMORE CITY COUNCIL and FBI both look around)

FBI: Well… it’s against the regulations, but these days- who knows what’s right anymore?

(FBI plonks the mayor over the head with a wooden stick and puts her on the cart)

BALTIMORE CITY COUNCIL: Ah, thanks very much.

FBI: Not at all. But do try to elect someone less corrupt this time.

BALTIMORE CITY COUNCIL (jovially): Third time’s the charm!

8 Likes

Do I even want to know?

11 Likes

Fox talk show that is always playing at the gym when I go there after work.

:nauseated_face:

7 Likes

You have my sincere sympathies.

I assiduously use earbuds to drown out unwanted noise pollution, whenever I go out in public.

7 Likes

Eh, motivates me to go really fast and get done. :grin:

8 Likes

Masochism? Whatever works for you, bro…

:wink:

9 Likes

4 Likes

Did you know that you can get great exercise while being on the lam?

6 Likes

Yeah, especially since apparently the illustrator did the work entirely for free because he thought it was an honest effort to advance the worthy cause of getting kids to engage in healthful behaviors…

4 Likes

How does that work? “So you committed various crimes, but you quit before we could file charges. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You win!”

9 Likes

Is that kind of like if the Dukes make it across the county line by a few feet then their ain’t a gosh durn thing Rosco can do about it. Except this is is not a TV show.

2 Likes