Bangladeshi Robocop includes dance numbers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/02/bangladeshi-robocop-includes-dance-numbers.html

3 Likes

Of course it does.
And the original film could have done with one or to as well.

13 Likes

Weller was ready.

11 Likes

If you want Bollywood scifi, it’s hard to top Enthiran, mainly because Robocop doesn’t have the Superstar Rajinikanth (that’s what he calls himself).

And there is nothing in that Robocop that will top this:

7 Likes

That fight scene after the music bit is also entertaining.

4 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes

Even without the dance scene, I’m sure it was better than the last two (at least) Robocop movies. I just had to look it up to be sure there actually was a “Robocop 3” because it was so forgettable, except as a vague bad memory. I bet one wouldn’t forget the Bangladeshi Robocop.

2 Likes

Came here to say this, but I see that staunch BoingBoing commenters have it covered already. Good job.

I saw “Enthiran” with a bunch of friends, and it’s a trip. Dance numbers, over-the-top action CGI, an interlude in which the protagonist tells off a swarm of animated mosquitoes for snacking on his lady love (no, really). There’s one moment in it, though, which is frankly shocking to a Western audience (teenage girl rescued from a house fire by robot hero commits suicide-by-truck because the neighbors have seen her naked). I assume that a South Asian audience might not see it as quite so jarring, but it stopped us in our tracks. Delirious laughter gave way to stunned silence and cries of “What the fuck?”

2 Likes

Taking a robot prototype to a sandy beach for frolicking seems ill-advised. Humans don’t always function that well with sand in crevices, I think it’d be worse with robot joints.

3 Likes

I had totally forgotten that scene from “Umbrella Academy”. What I love is that not only would they do a scene like that, but that it doesn’t even seem artificial or out of context. It’s not “hey, watch us break the fourth wall”, it’s more like “so this is a thing that happened.” It’s not actually any wackier than anything else that happens in the series.

4 Likes

I was looking on boingboing yesterday for a dance thread to append this to. It is very much not a robot dance; more a stallion stomp.

Brought to you by Endearing Unexpected Entertain Concepts; a wholly owned subsidiary of Omni Consumer Products.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.