Bani Garu: Worst. Anime. Ever

I guess if they can have man portable lasers that are able to slice up helicopters and are magically chargable overnight by motorcycle alternators, they can have their 30+ year long-term sub 1K organ storage facilities :grin:

1 Like

Robot Carnivalā€¦Thatā€™s another one I have literally cinematic memories of: sooo: the sequences were shuffled were they? The ā€˜bookendsā€™ were cut? (just a guess)ā€¦my two favorites were naturally the Meiji Barrel-Mech comedy and the dark post apocalyptic bit with the gas mask antagonist and the poor sap with the bike (good music on that oneā€¦)

I actually have a Carl Macek story: it was right around this time; 89, 90, (checking archivesā€¦) Nope: 1991. AnimeCon San Jose. I was thereā€¦selling old comics and lurking about. 16 years old and happy to be thereā€¦but poor social skills, alas. The Outlander artist was there: I got a Battia sketch on a ā€˜comic boardā€™, also one by Tomoko Saitoā€¦

Anyhow: there was a booth. Selling ā€˜Carl Macek In Trunkā€™ bumper stickersā€¦I had to have one. The dude selling itā€¦got me talking. After proving my Macross Knowledge I blurted out ā€œCarl Macek Suuuucksā€ ā€˜Wellā€¦heā€™s sitting right hereā€¦ā€™ eye contactā€¦I straight up fled.

All these years laterā€¦I wish I could have come out of that situation better. But I did escape with the stickerā€¦and gave it to my friend who put on his guitar case, and he went to Japan, became fluent and lived there for 20 years and founded iFlyer and got married, had a kid etcā€¦so the sticker was of some use after all.

1 Like

cough Back on topic, please.

I was a dick to Carl Macek, too. I didnā€™t like his writing, nor did I think he was the gift to improving anime he seemed to think he was, but I didnā€™t have to be a dick. It was embarrassing. However, the last time I saw him, he was cordial and professional.
I think he just didnā€™t have any fucks to give about what people thought of him.
^___^

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.