Bank lobbyists are scared to meet with AOC because she might humiliate them on Twitter later

Donations, I agree, are problematic. However, the amounts are a lot lower and they are more on a party level - they’re not the same kind of Grima-sat-always-on-your-shoulder-suggesting-you-should-not-bother-looking-into-opiates-because-they’re-really-just-ok-Worktongue that seems to be the deal in the US.

I actually feel really bad for people who believe pizzagate is real. The thing is, Jeffrey Epstein really was raping and trafficking minors out of properties in the US. He had a private island that was presumably much worse. He was friends with both 2016 presidential candidates. I’m sure there are people in congress from both parties who have sexually abused minors while in office.

It’s just that particular example of how powerful people do this that was fabricated by con artists for profit.

5 Likes

As far as I am able to comprehend, the accelerated slippery slope sliding got a boost in 2010 when corporations had to be legally defined as “people” thusly:

Since U.S. “people” have a right to freedom of speech in First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, corporations do, as is unpacked (ish) here:

https://www.oyez.org/cases/2008/08-205

U.S. Supreme Court decision:

“The First Amendment protects the right to free speech, despite the speaker’s corporate identity.”

Here’s a question, then:

If you ask this question of the libertarian-biased Cato Institute, their answer is “yes, political donations = free speech” and are completely legal when the donors are corporations.

However…

Hope that completely and totally clears that up for everyone! /sarcasm :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I’d like to see AOC ignoring the megabanks entirely, and spend her time on this issue meeting with smaller community banks, talking to them (with lots of cameras present) about leveling the playing field (reviving Glass-Steagall, taking the bailout provisions for the megabanks out of Dodd-Frank).

And if Morgan, Citi, BoA, etc. call her office - don’t bother returning the calls.

And - if, as rumored, Eric Holder announces he is running, ask him why no mortgage or rating agency crooks were prosecuted during his term. Loudly, and often.

6 Likes

They can’t - her very existence is an Existential Threat to their comfortable lives of corruption.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.