Bare pantry? Watch this Saltine cracker hack and salivate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/30/bare-pantry-watch-this-saltin.html

3 Likes

Mock Apple Pie?

5 Likes

patiently awaiting the sour-dough starter edition.

5 Likes

It is a real testament to Alton Brown’s skills that he was was able to stand up a YouTuber version of good eats with little to no staff in just a few days.

8 Likes

Love Alton and his shows, great tips and fun to watch.

2 Likes

ok. just first off…I like Alton Brown just fine and all. But…he just made buffalo saltines. I mean…I really…butter, hot sauce…it’s buffalo flavored saltines.

2 things…first off, saltines are a vehicles. They are meant to be plain and rather void of flavor as they are just there to provide a vehicle for other things like cheese or dip; or to provide body when making a panade. second…if you are at the point where in saltines are all you have left in your pantry, you probably aren’t too concerned with “How will I ever make these saltines more tasty” and probably more obsessively thinking “What will I do when the saltines run out…THESE ARE THE LAST FOOD SOURCE I HAVE LEFT!”

So…sure Alton, it’s cute. But I didn’t really need an at home method for making flavored crackers. Grocery stores are still open and I am pretty sure the cracker aisle has plenty of Tomato Basil Wheat Thins and Buffalo Bacon Triscuits in stock.

2 Likes

alton-brown-with-puppet-yes

7 Likes

You’know, I missed them [saltines] at the grocery store when I went hoarding…

1 Like

Damn. The last time I had Saltines, was when I was a kid. I’d smash up a bunch of saltines in a full can serving of (no longer made) Broadcast Chili w/Beans, and mix the two together. DEEEEELISH!!

1 Like

FYI to all (not just you @Papasan, bossman): Walmarts recently announced that every Tuesday, they will allow in only 60+ year old customers to shop from 6AM to 7AM. That arrangement ends at/near the end of April… but I’m thinking that it may be extended if the present situation stays as is or worsens.

Would give me the wind some’ting fierce.

1 Like

I’ve always seen that on the Ritz box and been confused. Was there a time when getting apples was a problem? Actual apples seem cheaper (not to mention healthier) than the amount of crackers this would use.

2 Likes

That’s what those oh-so cultured, post-dinner garden walks are for. To blast one’s guts out.

2 Likes

The Ritz mock apple pie is pretty good. My mom used to make it all the time when I was a kid because we all liked it.

3 Likes

Apparently developed in the 30s-40’s, but hearkens back to ‘mock mince’ pies of earlier. I, of course, was introduced to it via that bastion of Americana - 60s-70’s midwestern cuisine.

3 Likes

Back in the olden days, post-war & pre-global supply chain, fruits and veggies were seasonal.
If you didn’t can some pie filling or get a bunch of good keepers in September, you weren’t having apples until next year’s harvest.

6 Likes

Eeeew. The saltine cracker has a mouth?

9 Likes

I’ve noticed the scarf is a new fashion statement for people to wear ‘inside’ for persons of a certain age.
It does hide some serious neck waddle.

2 Likes

Wattle…but I can’t deny neck waddle has a certain poetry to it (looks sadly in the mirror).

1 Like

Wow, so generous…that’s the rule daily at most local grocery stores here.

2 Likes