Pickle pizza being tested at a sole Pizza Hut in NYC

Originally published at: Pickle pizza being tested at a sole Pizza Hut in NYC | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I love pickles, but I think on a pizza it would be like pineapple. Too much liquid.

I’d still try it, though. Edit: Missed that it has ranch as it’s sauce. I would not try it.

4 Likes

I knew a guy in the 90s who worked at Chuck E. Cheese and tried to convince me of the glories of dipping your pizza in ranch dressing. I guess it’s a thing. It’s not my thing. Ha.
Googling it, it seems like the main thing separating the flavor profile of ranch dressing from an Alfredo sauce is dill. So maybe this has a twisted logic. But yeah no thanks.

2 Likes

The only pickles I like are Polish dills with a ham or grilled cheese sandwich and they must be cold and crisp.

A hot pickle just don’t do it for me.

4 Likes

Pickle pizza is quite common in Illinois and Indiana. Not for everyone, but what is?

7 Likes

As a native New Yorker, I have to unequivocally say that ranch does not belong on pizza.

4 Likes

I have a wife and daughter that agree, ranch doesn’t belong on the pizza, pizza belongs dipped in ranch.

4 Likes

Why does it always have to be dill?

5 Likes

as a fellow native i will add that neither do pickles.

3 Likes

if that’s your choice you may as well put strawberries or raisins on

1 Like

As a non-New Yorker, I must fervently state that ranch dressing, or damn near any other “dip” is perfectly cromulent for pizza crusts. We call them pizza bones. In family settings I’ll consume anyone else’s bones if they don’t. My one daughter didn’t care for them, so more for me! 'Cept she’s moved out so it’s back to trying to convince my wife she doesn’t like crust.

I feel like eating the crusts later, even purposefully storing them for later, makes crusts a side dish to pizza; it just comes attached.

ET-keep-on-topic: I’d try pickles on pizza. Let them drain off as much liquid as possible, maybe add them afterwards at the table, thus keeping them crisp and coldish.

Now I have to ask my pizza man to do this.

Hmmmm… pizza…

6 Likes

I’ve had lettuce and pickles added after the bake on a bacon cheeseburger pizza. It was ok for the novelty, but not something I’d go for on a regular basis. Not bad, though.

2 Likes

In China, I tried tuna and black olive pizza with what seemed like Thousand Island dressing for sauce. It was surprisingly good!

Agreed. To me, the best part of watching Meg Ryan order in When Harry Met Sally was her ordering items to be served “on the side.” Don’t know who started putting pickles in sandwiches, but IMO that just ruins their texture and flavor. :woman_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

It’s mandatory for aa good Cubano. If you’ve got cheese or mayo layers, it doesn’t make the bread soggy.

4 Likes

Good to know! :thinking: Where’s my list…

Sloppy joes
Wonder bread
Soggy pickles
Soggy bread

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

What if it’s a loose meat sandwich? No more wet than a hamburger, but still crumbly?

1 Like

Well, a cheesesteak could be described as crumbly, but the roll is dry. Those are delicious! Melted Provolone helps to keep the meat from escaping. :wink:

4 Likes

People still have to spread the word, I guess.

pickles-2x

4 Likes

Ah, but in Chicago, there is Italian Beef sandwiches, and that is definitely served au jus (and with peppers).

5 Likes

Well, the brand where my mom lives is Nu-Way, who have been around since the early 1900s. They brown the ground beef with onion and other spices, and slap on some pickles and mustard.

1 Like