Pickle pizza being tested at a sole Pizza Hut in NYC

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ll have the jus on the side…so that I can do this:

Uh Oh Oops GIF by iOne Digital

So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

5 Likes

There’s a pizza place we used to go to in iowa that was famous for having enormous doughy crust around the edge and they had honey bottles on the table to eat with the leftover crust. Ha.

5 Likes

Animation Yes GIF by Mashed

3 Likes

Seriously: How can you even call it a pizza if it doesn’t have tomato sauce?

1 Like

The Bear makes a bit more sense to me now. I was kind of going “WTF has this to do with Italian food?”

Also, when I still ate pizza (coeliac) I’m not gonna lie, I loved pickled jalapeños on them. When I was out of course. At home I just used my own dough, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and basil/oregano from the garden. Maybe some chilli oil.

3 Likes

rupauls-drag-race

3 Likes

Well, in Italy you call it a pizza bianca…

Plenty of good ones, salsiccia and friarielli (probably mispelled) is top of my white pizza list.

5 Likes

There was a place nearby that served a white pizza with goat milk cheese and sausage.

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

I cried when it closed. Should’ve asked about the ingredients when I had the chance!

6 Likes

A pizza parlor around the corner from me (I’m in the redneck part of New York state) offers a white pie with thick-cut pickles as the house signature.

I’m into it, but I do understand some of the hesitations I see in this post. As an author here recently put it: “cannon ( in this case, traditional pizza) is a fools stricture.”

1 Like

i have to agree with @robertmckenna that pickled jalapenos on pizza are teh bomb! dill pickles and ranch dressing? that’s a hard nope from me.
@DukeTrout pickle is essential on a Cuban sandwich! never mayo, though. you can add it if you must, but a proper cubano is never served with mayonnaise.

5 Likes

Good catch!

Clarification: the mayo layer is just a general tip for avoiding soggy bread and not meant to be specific to Cubanos. Slathering the bread with butter and giving it a quick sear before assembly makes a Cubano plenty resistant to sogginess! :+1:

2 Likes

Technically, it’s pizza, right?

1 Like

As someone who doesn’t like tomatoes, I tolerate it on pizza. But I really prefer an alfredo-like white sauce instead. Less heartburn, too.

Up here in Canada, Dominos has two such sauces: “Alfredo” and “Garlic Parmesan”. Both are excellent. But there pizza is kinda meh, so I’m on a mission to try to get other pizza places to offer these white-sauce alternatives.

Back to pickles… I’m also on a mission to convince Harvey’s (Canada-only? fast-food burger chain, my preference when eating fast burgers) to include 3 or 4 pickles “on the side” with a poutine order. Order-takers have no qualms about doing a side of pickles when ordering a hamburger; given the poutine costs the same as a burger.

I do wonder if I’m cheating or stealing, for I have no intention of putting them on the poutine, so not really a condiment. I eat them as a side dish, and save one for a refreshing mouth-cleaning dessert. The sourness of the pickle and vinegar cuts the greasy remnants of poutine (french fries, beef gravy, and cheese curds after all…).

Anyone up to help my mission by asking for a side of pickles with their Harvey’s poutine? Maybe we can start an Alice’s Restaurant-type movement. If ONE person asks for pickles as a poutine side, they’s a looney. If TWO people as for pickles as a poutine side…

Hmmmm… poutine…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend it to non-celiac sufferers because the crust is obviously compromised by the lack of gluten, but Costco has a decent gluten-free frozen pizza, which comes 3 in a box. My daughter’s boyfriend has desperately tried to find pizzas he can eat (and actually like) for something like 10 years now, and this is one of his top suggestions.

But you’ll have to put your own pickles on it!

3 Likes

I like all types of pizza, but one of my favorites when I can find (or make) it is using basil pesto as the sauce. It goes well with SO many things, really similar to the white sauces.

You reminded me, we haven’t made it in a while, but a couple winters ago we got into making poutine at home as a comfort food. We’d get a bag of those good frozen waffle fries, while they baked we’d make some gravy (usually using some Beef Better than Boullion), then put the fries and gravy into those little bowls you get onion soup in if you go to a proper franco-american place, top it with curds and pop them in the oven for a few minutes.
SO YUM.
I’m going to try it with pickles on the side next time. Maybe some nice cornichons, like we would have with meat pie…
This thread is making me hungry.

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion but, like vegan meat aubstitutes that aren’t wheat based, it’s unfortunately not available here yet. I can’t complain: pain filled life/no good bread. It’s an easy one to pick.

Though when I walk past the local French bakery with the basket prooved sourdough I do huff the fragrance like an addict.

Sorry pain free/ good bread

3 Likes

FWIW, that same boyfriend says that in London at least, Pizza Express and Domino’s both do a GF pizza, and he’s as careful as you so if he’ll eat it, it should be safe. I think they’re both big enough chains that they wouldn’t want to incur the legal hassle of not doing it right.

2 Likes

Pizza Express bought their first outlet here on Dawson St. in the centre of town and the local traders didn’t think it sounded posh enough to be on that street so here it is called Milanos.

Coincidentally, and it’s not a frequent thing, we ate there today (one of my children is also coeliac) and it was fine.

Not like the real pizza I used to make though!

I wouldn’t even dream of asking my Milanese friends what they thought of the place! To be fair in the shopping centre we were in it was right by an Italian Irish place that, in my memory at least, does Italian food right. Like something simple like a proper bruschetta is great. Though of course I can’t eat it.

3 Likes

Capers and artichokes are lovely additions to a pizza, I could imagine other pickled veg working too.

1 Like