Barr: We'll release the Mueller report in a week but first we gotta color code it and redact the bad stuff

It does if you understand what’s coming down the pipeline in about a year and a half. There is zero chance that trump is going to surrender office under any circumstances. He knows what waits on the other side with no powers of self-preservation left. He has begun aggressively taking out leadership in key areas, most recently Secret Service, and I guarantee you that this has everything to do with ensuring loyalists are holding all of the weapons. We are currently in the midst of a constitutional crisis. We are about to be plunged into an existential one.

11 Likes

While I agree, the consequences are ramping up for whistleblowers in this country. It’s hard to imagine anyone who has hands and eyes on the un-redacted report would be willing to suffer those consequences.

3 Likes

He’s given the GOP massive tax breaks for the wealthy, his cabinet is made up of people explicitly committed to undermining the agencies which they head, he’s filled the federal courts with young right-wing judges who will steer the judiciary for the next 30 years, and he is on the verge of handing conservatives firm control Supreme Court for the next generation, and he’s shown that he understands the GOP base better than anyone else.

A few of them my tut-tut some of his excesses, but at the end of the day he is a goddamn bucket of gold at the end of the rainbow for the GOP.

9 Likes

‘Tex’ was trump’s own to begin with but, what bothers me more is trump’s dirty little fingers in one of the SS’s core responsibilities:

“Since its inception in 1865, the Secret Service was created to investigate and prevent counterfeiting. Today the agency’s investigative mission has evolved from enforcing counterfeiting laws to safeguarding the payment and financial systems of the United States from a wide range of financial and computer-based crimes.”

If trump is trying to circumvent the law on the border you can damn well bet he’s trying to circumvent financial laws.

7 Likes

I actually think this is core to his current moves. He installed a bunch of career government operatives at the beginning thinking they would blindly swear fealty to him because everyone in his world always has and he’s enough of an egotist to think that actually carries weight. He quickly found that most people in government, regardless of party, take their oath of office seriously and can’t be easily converted with threats, especially when there are so many more legal and financial pitfalls than in the private sector. He complained about this constantly in the first two years; Sessions’ recusal, Tilllerson publicly contradicting him, etc. Now he’s seen the light and is purging anyone who he thinks will stand in his way and has had time for his Stephen Millers to find like-minded rats to stock the ship with. I agree that he’s making his first big stand at the border, but I think his game is longer and more nefarious than we’ve yet seen.

9 Likes

I’m still taking a wait and see approach to this. I’m sure people will be reading a whole lot into the report, but from a logical standpoint I kind of doubt we’ll see “collusion”. After all, it’s not like the Russian Internet Research Group needed or wanted Trump’s advice, they knew how to do their job already. They had been doing it for months before Trump was even nominated. It’s not likely that they bought into the “4D Chess” narrative–one that they may have even created themselves–and instead viewed him as a useful idiot. Really they had a fairly easy job. It’s easy to lie to people who want to believe.

1 Like

Yah, but it really messes with my “Buy stock in all toner makers!” plan… I only bought black!

1 Like

A week sounds about right.

It’s going to take them about that long to go through it with their crayons, provided they don’t get distracted and eat too many.

3 Likes

Yet Congress can’t be trusted with the unredacted report because of “reasons”?

6 Likes

(For reference)

4 Likes

96crayons

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.