Barry's tea is pretty great

It used to be better, there was a Marks and Sparks where I grew up, and it had all kinds of goodness, biscuits, proper shrimp crisps, and real teas. I even loved their packaged instant bubble and squeak. At least I don’t have to drive all the way up to the Scottish store for supplies.

1 Like

Pu Erh works, but you run the risk of adventurous types proving their outré cred.

And Rooibos isn’t tea.

2 Likes

That’s why they should take the hint.

1 Like

Fuck me, that is mental. Anyways, the best biscuits for tea are either ginger nuts or malted milk.

3 Likes

I can only find malt anything in China town.
Horlicks is only available here via Hong Kong, so it has a Chinese label. Still good tho. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We used to frequently buy Persian Tea (it’s an Earl Grey flavor) but our preferences have since shifted*. I’ve seen it in international groceries (not just Persian groceries), though once when I couldn’t find it I called the number on the box and ordered it over the phone. (EDIT: I’m not sure what’s Persian about it, other than perhaps where it is packed and exported – I suspect this particular vendor made it up. My recollection from reading the box is that the tea itself was grown in India and/or Sri Lanka [still “Ceylon” in tea parlance]; this is barely visible in the picture on their website.) They do sell something explicitly called “Earl Grey” but the maroon box does contain oil of bergamot (which is what makes Earl Grey, Earl Grey).

(Yep, Ceylon. It’s all more visible in this photo.)

(Google gives me a warning about the Quality Tea Co.'s website so try the other vendors. Amazon doesn’t seem to be one of them.)

*I have some Chai Kashmiri, and had Chai Ginseng, that I ordered from Porto Rico in New York. They were more peppery, with no discernible cloves, than most flavored chais (e.g. Tazo) and I enjoyed them both. But they are (IMO) expensive so I went with a much cheaper box of Tetley Masala bags. My wife just sticks to Bigelow Earl Grey bags so she doesn’t have to mess around with the loose-leaf stuff.

1 Like

Here’s a sure sign I need to recaffeinate. I read that as “the larvae [that emerged, hatched, etc.] from last summer’s turds.”

ETA:

The only thing that put me off from trying that one is the artificial flavor. (Yeah, sure, like I’m otherwise so pure…)

I’d been throwing a few green cardamom pods in my morning coffee but it really takes a lot of them to make any difference. Black cardamom, it turns out, gives me palpatations. (I drink 1 coffee in the morning and then tea after that. Except weekends, then I drink the whole French press’s worth.)

See! Carlisle is good for something!

How did you manage during the ginger nut shortages after the Carlisle floods?

1 Like

I’ve been decaf. for the past year, and this thread isn’t making it any easier.

5 Likes

It’s an acquired taste, but I would happily accept a cup. Milk in first, please, and some sugar.

Also, it is amazingly useful in the kitchen, in marinating vegetarian dishes.

2 Likes

this is cruel and unusual. you deserve justice! (and a nice cup of tea/coffee)

2 Likes

Been decaf since a couple of years. Miss the caffeine itself sometimes, but mostly I miss treating myself to a tasty beverage. But my digestive system couldn’t take it any more. What drove you to give it up?

1 Like

Barry’s Tea is the number one Irish tea. I just enjoy every sip…

I was once a barista - More recently I was down to a couple servings a day, but the regularity and long history meant I got absolutely nothing out of it*, while stopping for a single day triggered yuuuge headaches.

(*besides pleasant, tasty drinks)

There are actually a number of decent decaf options out there. I can find Twining’s eng breakfast all over, and even some decent decaf sencha and other green teas. (I still grab a bag of decaf whole beans now and then for my aeropress, too)

3 Likes

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.