Barstool Sports' president posts illegal termination threat against employees considering unionization

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/13/frank-admission-of-guilt.html

5 Likes

Do people who run sportsball-adjacent companies get to use the ‘just locker-room banter’ excuse’?

10 Likes

"… for using twitter during work hours." surely he meant. It’s obvious that the sentence was incomplete - look, there’s no period. Captains of industry don’t just forget that there’s literally only like 3 reasons you can’t fire someone.

5 Likes

Annoying authority figure: I forbid you to do this thing!
Truculent underlings: You mean this thing?

giphy

17 Likes

In an earlier topic, I noted:

This is yet another example of why I feel this way. I’d offer a bet that this jerk regularly recommends people read “Atlas Shrugged”, but I doubt I’d have any takers.

ETA: Yep

Portnoy, who goes by the handle “El Presidente” on the website, considers himself a libertarian – “very socially liberal” while fiscally conservative.

18 Likes

I do like the responses waving hello to lawyers reading the thread in the future for the inevitable legal action.

2 Likes

We can be honest, here- we’re not talking about an especially bright man. Dullard might be a word I’d use.

7 Likes

For anyone unfamiliar, Portnoy and Barstool are truly a cesspool of every sports bro cliche mashed together into a gross stew of frat boy insecurity and aggression, all wrapped in a “u mad bro?” insincerity. The fucking worst.

They’re the people who think the Chive used to be great but is too high-brow now. They’re the people who were upset Kid Rock didn’t actually run for office, because it would have been hilarious. They’re the people whose Platonic ideal of existence is still measured against junior year spring break at Cabo san Myrtle when Chubbs got a beej behind the dumpster and Riggsy punched the Mexican guy who couldn’t take a joke.

16 Likes

So, like the online incarnation of Brett Kavanaugh?

Seems right.

9 Likes

Case in point: https://www.thedailybeast.com/barstool-sports-stole-from-her-then-the-insidious-harassment-began

5 Likes

Also, is it me or is he just a hairier version of Zuckerberg?

4 Likes

I have heard this name somewhere before. Ah yes…

10 Likes

“stoolpresidente” is surely not his actual Twitter handle? If so, that’s… just too perfect.

9 Likes

We can be honest, here- we’re not talking about an especially bright man. Dullard might be a word I’d use.

Careful - that’s a trap. He and Barstool both thrive on their public personas of “dumbass/jackass sports troglodytes” becaus it puts them on the populist end of a “fans vs. elites” culture war that elevates their position. You’re playing right into their strengths.

Portnoy is anything but a dullard. He’s a shrewd and coldly intelligent man who wants you to keep underestimating him.

2 Likes

Barstool has some crappy managers. Do yourself a favor and quit. Let them burn.

If you thought this was as aggressively stupid as the story was going to get, think again.

19 Likes

“debate me. I love gish galloping and not addressing your points”

Debate is pointless with bad faith interlocutors.

24 Likes

Ugh. I never heard of this company before. I’m thankful for that. According to that Daily Beast article:

A front-facing executive like Portnoy, who has repeatedly said that he “want[s] to stick my tongue down [Wagner’s] throat,” would not last long at any sports media company, let alone one with a recent $100 million valuation [per Bloomberg News].

As far as I can make out, that’s because Wagner wrote about this story:

She tweeted out screenshots of a 2014 Barstool blog post in which Portnoy called her a “BIBLE THUMPING FREAK” whose primary job requirement was to “make men hard.” In a podcast that same week, Portnoy went on a rant while Katz egged him on, calling Ponder a “fucking slut” who should “sex it up and be slutty” instead of talking about being a working mother.

I’ll be happy if illegal union-busting is the thing that takes him down.

6 Likes

Paging Saint Barbara

9 Likes

I think “debate me” is the new “actually, it’s about ethics in journalism.”

11 Likes