Basketball mom refused to cover nose with mask at game, so her kid and coach dad got kicked out of the league

https://bbs.boingboing.net/faq

Do not make assumptions as to anyone’s mental state, race, gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs, group affiliation or sexual orientation without corroboration.

Once again folks, for the 10 millionth time. It stigmatizes people with actual mental illnesses and lets assholes off the hook.

11 Likes

I’ve had a tube down my throat before (into my stomach, not for breathing issues.) Each time I had to have one inserted I vomited what felt like everything I’d eaten or drunk in the past month and having it removed was no picnic either.

The last time was last summer, and having a tube down your throat is a valid reason not to wear a mask in the hospital. But I still got tested with a nasal probe-into-the-brain when I was admitted and after the tube was removed I put my mask on shortly thereafter.

Believe me, I cannot emphasize enough that you DO NOT WANT to have a tube in your throat. I’m cringing just remembering.

But back to the story, she said she had a doctor’s note. Is anyone investigating whether or not that note was valid (probably not) and how many other similar notes “THE CHRIST HOSPITAL PHYSICIANS - PRIMARY CARE, MONTGOMERY” (seen in the video at 1:31) have issued?

13 Likes

You can buy a laminated “I am exempt from wearing a mask” badge on Amazon.

I don’t think it says “Because I’m an asshole” on the other side…

18 Likes

It’s maddening, but understandable. Some medical doctors pass science tests without understanding science well, or how to read and stay current on research outside their subspecialty. A subset of these doctors believe that since they’re a doctor, they must know a lot about science. They are often treated as authorities by patients, friends, family. When arguing, he used the appeal to authority fallacy, where he was the authority, pointing out that for x years he’d been a such and such doctor. I said that since that was the basis of his hunch, all I had to do was find a few doctors who had worked for x+1 years who disagreed with him, and he would have to recognize their authority over his. And that since most experts in the field were disagreeing with him, it wouldn’t be hard. ETA: My guess is Scott Atlas might be explained by this. He’s likely very well read in his field of neuroradiology, and may work as a neuroradiologist very competently, but has probably done selected reading outside of it that convinced him his unconventional thinking on coronavirus was right. Or the MDs in Congress who are climate science deniers.

8 Likes

If anybody launches another study about mask compliance, I recommend it be about compliance within different socioeconomic backgrounds. I’m not sure if it’s because of the nature of reporting, but the majority of anti-maskers really seems to be affluent and/or otherwise privileged white people.

ETA: I’m an asthmatic whose issues are exercise-induced, coupled with nasal polyps (they block your nasal passages) that drain into my windpipe. Breathing with a mask is more difficult, but nowhere near impossible. Suck it up, lady.

16 Likes

If slapping a sticker on someone without their consent was not a violation of their person, a sheet of those “Hi, my name is” stickers with “asshole” written or printed on them would be extremely useful sometimes.

5 Likes

High five. My wife has asthma, she’s a teacher (heading back to class tomorrow), and she has no problem wearing a mask.

This woman had a choice. Wear a mask and wear it properly, or watch the game remotely (as it was obvious they were doing in that photo). She choose poorly.

13 Likes

i have had asthma since i was a child. in the late 90s through the early 00s, when i would spray in my dad’s peach orchard i wore a mask with cartridges to filter specific chemicals we used for fungicides and insecticides. my dad and i both used those in the 90-100 degree texas heat and i never had any problems getting enough air to work. those things made it much harder to inhale than any mask i’ve worn during the pandemic, including an n95 mask. i have a hard time taking anyone complaining about wearing a mask seriously because of this.

18 Likes

duly noted, with apologies.

6 Likes

Thank you.

6 Likes

Doctor’s Note: This patient has a medical condition making breathing while wearing a mask difficult. The patient has my permission to attend events without a mask and put others at a higher risk of spreading Covid-19. This patient also has my permission to not care about those around her but only take care of her own needs because she is special and feels misunderstood by her difficult and marginalizing condition.

19 Likes

Not covering your nose when wearing a mask works, too.

2 Likes

Fixed. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

First, we all know that if you look hard enough, especially in a red state, you can find a medical doctor to write a prescription for a ham sandwich. So her medical note is immediately suspect (given her obvious political affiliation).

But not just that…

If she actually had a medical condition that prevents mask-wearing, she should voluntarily abstain from public events, if only for the risk she is unilaterally imposing on others. People who have to use medical marijuana can’t go into non-smoking areas and start puffing away, saying “I have a medical condition!”

15 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me how little is asked of people and how, even then, they are so unwilling to do it.

10 Likes

She has kinetic anoxia reuptake effusion neurosis, or KAREN syndrome.

9 Likes

Exactly. There are so many jobs where people need to wear masks, and do just fine. To @knoxblox’s point, I think most of these anti-maskers are from the socio-economic status that they’ve never had one of these jobs, and probably never even considered that people need to wear PPE at work. I’ve had to wear masks in construction, woodworking, and sometimes in my first job at a nursing home. Never an issue.

13 Likes

I had someone say, “I can’t think straight with a mask on, I’m not getting enough oxygen!”

“Ma’am, I work with surgeons who wear a mask for 12 straight hours and do just fine. Is your brain working harder than a surgeon’s? No? Then quit whining and wear your mask.”

11 Likes

Reminds me of that old joke about the guy who breaks his arm. He asks the doctor if he’ll be able to play piano once it’s healed and the doctor says, “definitely.” Guy says, “that’s great, because I couldn’t play before!”
If you can’t think straight with a mask on, you probably can’t think straight without a mask on!

13 Likes

Came here for this. Thank you.