BBC names Ncuti Gatwa as the new Doctor Who

Any accent will do - but I think his ability to be utterly charming and occasionally quite scary would make a really good Doctor.

5 Likes

The new Doctor should be Eddie Izzard, of course.

But sadly- there’s no longer any roles for aliens that originated from far northwestern Europe.

11 Likes

Oh sure, certainly there must be many people like that. But it’s quite suspicious how, when a “controversy” like this crops up, suddenly you have an influx of people professing themselves to be huge fans of the franchise in question, who curiously don’t seem to have a shred of history with that franchise, their knowledge about it seems weirdly bare-bones, and the only time they seem to ever talk about it is when they whine about how the wokes are ruining it. (And sure, most people have fannish interests they rarely talk about unless there’s something happening with the franchise - but when that interest is rekindled and they start talking about it again, they usually don’t stop at, say, casting choices for a new movie adaptation.)

Back in my day there was a thing we used to jokingly call “Migrating Slash Fandom”, referring to fans who weren’t attached particularly strongly to any particular fandom or ship, but rather followed their favorite writers, or just people they follow on social media, whether they were actually familiar with those interests or not, or actually wanted to read/watch them or not, they were just there for the pretty art and fanfic. (No judgement btw, it was just a tongue-in-cheek way to refer to a phenomenon many of my friends were/are a part of.) I think that there’s something similar with right-wing/reactionary talking heads who gather social capital (or make an actual living) from constantly following whatever the latest “woke controversy” is, without necessarily being actually familiar with or interested in the franchises involved.

7 Likes

Or the fact the Daleks are space nazis and the cybermen space commies, until they became corporate suppression of individuality.

8 Likes

No, it isn’t.
Being clubbed over the head with simplistic political points can sometimes feel like it though.

Forgive my hyperbole. But yes, they did sometimes appear to give that impression. There may be a fine line between indoctrination and education but sometimes, whichever side of it they may have been, they were very close to it. On the other hand, they may just have been playing to an audience who wanted that sort of thing - that’s also entirely possible.

Still, it’s only Doctor Who. :wink:

This. It seems to be a theme in recent years.

14 Likes

I’d argue that it’s far worse to inject political ideology but trying to make it seem “normal”… like always having white men play to role up to Jodi Whitaker.

12 Likes

my sources for dr who dried up towards the end of capaldi ( and i had a really hard time forgiving what happened to bill ) - so i took a break and have been buying seasons at a time.

it took me a while to get used to whittaker and this iteration of writers - and i do think, for me, it had something to do with my expectations of the dr and male adventure heroes. ive really grown to like her in the role and will be sad to see her go (though i’m still matt smith all the way )

this is all a caveat to say i haven’t seen the most recent season yet, so i can’t talk meaningfully about it. maybe i’m just projecting my own issues, and this season is painfully hamfisted or something. it’s just worth considering that’s all

4 Likes

Exactly my first thought!

4 Likes

me too. ive never seen “sex education” so all i could think was: who?

my little pony rimshot GIF

alright alright. it had to be done

same. more proof that we aren’t in the prime timeline i think

7 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker (3)

10 Likes

Which isn’t at all a form of “indoctrination,” no ma’am, not at all!

9 Likes

Oh no, I see a gay couple on TV and they are not being stoned to death, I’m being indoctrinated
People of color in positions of authority! That is so political!
There is too much wokeness here! /s

Me Me Me Fainting GIF by Archie Comics

17 Likes

Nope… that’s just “the way things are and always have been” :tm: After all, white men are the default human… er, Gallifreyan… /s

8 Likes

I would say they recently ruined the Sea Devils. But they were pretty goofy from the outset. Always more adorbs than scary.

5 Likes

Not a fan of sex education though the parts I did enjoy had Gatwa in it. Kinda sad I stopped before Capaldi was the doctor but once it left netflix I didn’t get a chance to watch

1 Like

In my head-canon, the actual crime the1st Dr was tried for was dabbling with the past; leading humanity to become the Timelords. I feel that this “explains” why the Dr is so humancentric and spends so much effort in making sure that the Earth isn’t destroyed before it can become Gallifrey.

I’m not entirely convinced by that American accent he puts on when playing other roles.

3 Likes

Lol I was going to say the same thing, there’s a few TOS episodes that might be considered “woke” by today’s standards, much less the late 60s.

4 Likes

Peter Dinklage’s audition for the part

3 Likes

Oh, definitely. I see a lot of that - but many don’t even pretend to have been fans. Sometimes they make vague allusions that imply they were fans, but it’s clear it’s just an attempt to personalize it, so it’s not obvious that’s what they’re doing.

But I also see other people who do seem to have watched the shows in question, but the politics of the earlier shows were lost on them completely, for whatever reasons. (Though they’re also not the talking heads looking to capitalize on controversies.)

That’s a particularly baffling example of the phenomenon, when overtly political bands, where the politics were arguably even a big part of the band’s appeal, have fans that are in total opposition to their politics and must have developed a liking for the band in adulthood. (And then are somehow “surprised” by the band’s stances slightly later in adulthood.)

To be fair, he’s probably too good for Doctor Who - there’s a lot of good actors lately wasted on often mediocre material. He’s wasted in the Marvel movies instead… though at least his bank account benefits from that.

Cis het white Christian (implied, at least) men, specifically. Everyone else’s existence is “political.” Especially if they’re aliens.

The actual canon is so weird and contradictory, this probably works just as well as whatever they’ve come up with to fit everything. (The most recent stuff that included a bunch of confusing backstory that involved a young Doctor - I think? - on what could only have been Earth or at least a planet completely identical to it… it rather hints this might be the official canon as well, for all we know.)

6 Likes