BBC picks greatest films of the 21st century

Dang. I got some work to do, I can confirm having seen only 153 on Mr. Wright’s list. Sadly missing: The Life Aquatic.

2 Likes

Yes!

We should totally do our own list.

2 Likes

We kinda do with the under/over-rated movie thread. An official Best Of thread could be good, but probably only if we each only get to pick one.

1 Like

Forgive me, but I have no idea what point you’re trying to make here.

1 Like

what do you want to talk about?

I’m not sure I want to talk about anything because I don’t understand your viewpoint. But I’m happy to listen!

1 Like

So, does an “official” list of the 100 greatest documentaries or pseudo-documentaries exist?

Edit: And no, I don’t think Faces of Death qualifies.

“Spivet” is cued up on the server for movie night on Friday.

But it was a spectacle. And there were some amazing practical effects.

Work has made me very late to the party here (though I put my head round the door a few dozen messages up that way ^), but I’ve just gone through the list properly. I’ve seen a couple of dozen of these, mostly but not all by choice, and there’d be eight or nine which would make it into my Personal Film Festival: Ratatouille, A Serious Man, Carol, Ida, Blue Is The Warmest Colour, Timbuktu, Pan’s Labyrinth, Spirited Away.

The inevitable films that I’m aghast are missed (unless I missed them in the list!):

The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya, referenced above
Blancanieves
Wadjda
Phoenix (I might include Barbara when I’ve seen it!)
La Jaula de Oro

…and maybe others. That’s all part of the fun.

1 Like

I just realised this is the first of the Vengeance trilogy [duh], and it’s on my need-to-see list. I really enjoyed Oldboy which comes in at #30, and which I was told was the one to watch.

I like this one better by a quite a bit. They really aren’t the same thing at all.
However Lady Vengeance…it’s fun and wacky but pretty hard to follow.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.