BBC sacks Jeremy Clarkson

I read that as well, that May and Ham wouldn’t stay with the show if JC wasn’t on it. But hey, it’s TV–why not reboot the series with some new blood?
Also, it’s a shame that our celebs aren’t nearly as honest or forthright as May is in that clip.

5 Likes

Maybe they, and not you, set their schedules?

1 Like

I can’t imagine the raging controversies over Ghomeshi and Cosby didn’t factor into their decision at least a little.

1 Like

The chemistry of the three is what made the show good, and if you don’t have that the show doesn’t get watched (like all the other Top Gear versions they tried to fire up in other countries and failed at). It doesn’t even matter if their friendship was an act, they definitely played well off each other and it made a really entertaining show.

Clarkson’s actions are reprehensible but booting him means the show is dead, which is a giant bummer. There’s no way they can just summon up a replacement and have things go back to normal.

3 Likes

I used to be a copper. The law come before a television company in investigative priority.

2 Likes

A King and Emperor for the Twentieth Century.

1 Like

Actually, I have stuff to do, so I withdraw from the discussion. I’ve said every point I wanted to make. I shall leave those who get off on it to shred my comments and score whatever points they feel they earn. I don’t really care.

The way I see it, it’s quite possible that the BBC will not be able to find the formula that made TG so successful. That’s sad, but ultimately they can’t keep accepting this as the price of success (and the BBC has a bad history of turning a blind eye to the human faults of their more successful presenters). Letting TG die or become less successful would mean that future talent would be less likely to expect special treatment.

3 Likes

It’s GamerGate for the middle age demographic. If there is no room for occasionally violent racists on TV, then the Cultural Marxists have won.

21 Likes

Ooooh. That makes a terrible kind of sense then. Thanks for that.

4 Likes

Smoggy?

1 Like

I am/was really looking forward to the P1 vs 918 vs LaFerrari test…

Actually, it’s about ethics in motoring journalism.

19 Likes

This is the removal of an ass, to provide a safe working environment for everybody else’s face. FTF’

While I don’t disagree that this may not be the most just outcome, I do think it is the most just outcome possible given the constraints of an employer employee relationship.

I can’t think of a reason why anybody would want to set a precedent where physical violence in the workplace would not get you fired.
If you got punched in the face by this guy, would you still be happy to work with him? If protecting the bottom line is the right thing to do, then you’ll also need to fire or re-locate the victim, so Jeremy doesn’t work in a tense environment and with a producer who hates his guts.

Sure, you can say that maybe this guy learned his lesson and won’t do it again. But I wouldn’t like to take that chance, not if I’m the one at risk of an attack.

To say that Jeremy Clarkson should be exempt of punishment in the workplace for what he does in the workplace is to foster the very attitude that allowed him to do this in the first place.

4 Likes

Yeah, he actually lost me when he mocked Argentinian vets of the 1982 war.

I disagree with him on pretty much every political issue, but I still think he’s funny as hell and I like the guy. And hell, its a show about cars, not political ideology. I think its a bit odd that in the modern era its so rare to overlook political differences. Personally, in modern day America at least (since that’s where I have most of my experience), I think being able to overlook someone’s massively different political viewpoint is downright radical, since these days we’re all taught that any political difference is grounds for a shouting match or worse, and any friendship will be impossible.

And the whole situation is all very convenient for people who would rather we didn’t discuss our political differences.

6 Likes

I can’t speak for their personal feelings, but a big part of what made the show work was the chemistry on set between the aforementioned 3 tittering schoolboys.

Yes, it was immature and ridiculous. But that was a big part of the appeal, the camaraderie of 3 guys hanging out and giving each other shit. It was a caricature of male bonding, with British wit added.

That chemistry between the three is also why all the international clones haven’t been any good, at least the ones I’ve seen (USA, Australia).

1 Like

The idea that people who like Clarkson share his political views is about as stupid as people who think Top Gear is about in depth car reviews.

5 Likes

I feel Jimmy Saville looms large in this one, the idea of a man being so valuable he could get away with stuff other people couldn’t.
If JC had stayed then the UK would have proven itself as the being pretty much the same nepotist shit hole it used to be.

2 Likes

The thing about Jimmy Saville was that he was protected by the police. That was the real story, just as the real story shouldn’t have been tabloid jacks, well, hacking but rather the police colluding and selling to said hacks.

Jimmy wasn’t allowed near young people unaccompanied in the BBC. He was elsewhere. Including his charity work and with his copper chums. This is rather different in that the BBC have a leg to stand on getting rid of Jeremy, it is public, and he doesn’t appear to merit special protection from the coppers.

1 Like

Did you watch the same show I did? I saw no mocking of Argentinian war veterans in the Pategonia show. Care to share where you did?

2 Likes