BBC sacks Jeremy Clarkson

Local fans tell me it’s part of their stint and as @caryroys points out, it works. I used to be a fan way back in 2008 when I was more Internet-naive and thought the same thing, but then stopped partly because of the racism from Mexico to India–where it made Clarkson a diplomatic liability (along with being his brash, culturally-insensitive self).

It is a long list and with last year’s issue, way before the Argentina controversy, he was on his way out. At least from the BBC.

5 Likes

I’m a huge top gear fan, and I’ll miss it as much as the next guy.

But if anyone who assaults a coworker should be sacked.

4 Likes

New host of The Daily Show?

He’s done chat-shows before…

Also, I apologize to the good people of the US that now have to suffer James Corden on The Late Late Show.

Whaaat? So, you get a check from someone and then just take it to your bank and they give you money without having to sign anything as proof you’ve received it in case one of the banks screws up or something?

1 Like

I stopped watching because I got fed up with Clarkson, so I am hopeful it will survive.

3 Likes

Yah.

Every time I end up with a cheque here and my wife reminds me to sign the back of it, I’m still “I have to do what now?”

3 Likes

It’s why I stopped watching too

1 Like

That is so… quaint. When the wife was working on her Irish citizenship one of the requirements to prove who she was was to have the form signed by a member of clergy or a bank manager. So, she went to her bank, introduced herself to the manager and he signed the form. Here in the US we’d go to a notary but over there they think your bank manager is some kind of expert in checking photo ID.

Quaint as all get out.

3 Likes

Gotta support the troops. :eyeroll:

That video seems to be shot after they had heard he was sacked.

Also, did he insult Argentinian war vets? I didn’t see him do that anywhere and the beebs swears that their producers bought that H982 FKL car without any knowledge of its licence plate.

As you might have guessed, I couldn’t care less if he punched some guy. He’s the show’s resident asshole and the dynamic between the trio is its charm: Hammond the young dude who is the butt of the jokes, May the classic British wet rag and Clarkson who is basically the show’s equivalent of a drunken parkie/chav but with money. The show will be shit without him.

that or bring back Robot Wars:

I think cars are the best toys ever, apart from guns, or anything with a gun on it (you can bolt a Bofors on almost anything) but I’ve come to think of cars and guns (and things with guns on) as atavisms. Like revenge-killing, incest, or inherited wealth, they’re best experienced as fiction or in the absence of experiences that are actually fulfilling.

I was a fan of Top Gear from 2005 to about 2010, but I didn’t really think of Clarkson as just an entitled dumdum until the show got the budget to do the “lets make fun of the locals” specials that they started doing since then.

My favorite TG-related show was when James May did his special on the astronaut program, (a U2 taking off being followed by an Aussie musclecar—“Pontiac GTO”—to Led Zeppelin is really great if you are drunk) including his high-altitude ridealong. I was sad to hear of Hamster’s high-speed accident and am glad he recovered, but they really just got stuck in Clarkson’s celebrity in 2010 and didn’t manage to get out.

It was time to take that show out back and shoot it anyway. At least this way some shittier network will be stuck with it and expose themselves as the kind of lame corporate idiots who see racist morons as desirable.

5 Likes

Saville was protected by the police. It’s in his own autobiography ffs.

And no, the coalition has done absolutely nothing about this.

And what I said about the BBC is also true.

1 Like

Yep, whenever somebody calls them out on their bullshit they whine about “Political Correctness” and the underlying marxist agenda. But it’s a very simple case of “Don’t be a friggin’ asshole” and the reaction they get is the same as a lefty idiot who “jokes” about deporting my well-off neighbor’s family to the Gulag.

1 Like

Try getting anything done in the UK if you can’t show them a fucking gas bill. No, really.

2 Likes

They process it in front of you and you get a printed receipt.

NEW PRESENTER ANNOUNCED

3 Likes

Holy Fuck Dude. Get some perspective. He hit a co-worker and got sacked.

Jummy Saville was a fucking mass rapist.

Same diff??? Fuck all… seriously dude?

The BBC now wants to be seen as tough on unacceptable behaviour. On the other hand, maybe Jeremy was doomed from the moment the assault was reported regardless.

so, the BBC now wants to be seen as tough.

Could you explain the unstated implcation you might be (appear to be) making with the wikipedia link? It’s not obvious to me how it ties into any conclusion or what that means as a response to the pithy minute long gag I linked to.