BBC sacks Jeremy Clarkson

Firing/Suspension of ‘talent’ due to them being offensive asses?

I wonder if Clarkson has manipulated the BBC into firing him so he can get a new job elsewhere (has he been tapped up?)? It’s almost as if he’s been daring them to fire him - they clearly didn’t want to.

1 Like

But that was from 7 years ago. SUDDEN TURN AROUND? And Brand, not to defend the dude, resigned and was not sacked.

Seems more like now the Tory’s will get sacked, not just the libs as has been the practice.

It was more to do with how it might not be the BBC being tough, and they are being arbitrary instead.

How so? What is arbitrary there? I’m not seeing it and I wouldn’t mind you throwing a few complete sentences at it.

I’m doing a bad job of explaining my thoughts today. I’ll come back later and try again

Now I’m not making sense to myself.

It’s probably best you forget I got involved in this thread.

“unacceptable” sort of begs the question, doesn’t it?

Did the Beeb have him on a yearly contract or something longer term? It seems to me that even if he was contractually bound, the chances are he or his agent could have negotiated a release the moment it became clear that to him that he wasn’t comfortable at the BBC. It would have saved all this bother, and probably got him just as much positive press, if not more, without the negative aspects of punching someone in a drunken rage.

I think it’s like the wrestling, where they have to arrange an ‘injury’ in the storyline so that someone can take a break, maybe go abroid…

1 Like

Ok, fact time:

1. If you hit someone while at work and not in self defence, that is grounds for immediate dismissal in the UK
  2. According to the BBC investigation, Clarkson did the above.
  3. Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC higher ups himself.

Regardless of his past indiscretions, it seems that this incident alone is grounds enough to fire Clarkson.

Opinion time:

Personally, I don’t believe anything Clarkson has done prior to this was worthy of sacking. He was doing exactly what the BBC paid him to do, act like a buffoon and lark around in expensive cars. Was he pushing boundaries? Yes, but that’s what his bosses wanted.

I believe there was someone at the BBC who didn’t like how popular he was and wanted him gone. The whole “n-word nursery rhyme” led me to this belief. The footage in question was never intended for broadcast and Clarkson himself looked uncomfortable saying the word in question and re-shot it himself. Someone somewhere for some reason leaked it to the press. I don’t understand how someone could publicise that footage without the express intention of Clarkson getting punished. What other rationale could there be?

But hitting someone? That’s a line that once crossed can’t be argued out of.

2 Likes

Good to hear David Cameron’s $0.02 on the issue. It is a bit selfish of Oisin Tymon and the BBC to deprive Britain of such a great talent.

Bearing in mind that that “someone” could have been anyone from a lowly researcher up to management level. It’s clear that, as a whole, the BBC wanted to keep hold of him; if there was a campaign inside the BBC to force him out, it could have been a very few people indeed, maybe only one.

Sounds to me like he had low blood sugar and became aggressive. I seem to remember reading about how low blood sugar leads to violence and loss of self control. I believe the term is hypoglycemic violence.

Does anyone know how long they had the hosts work without food that day?

1 Like

Well, they did have time to go drinking elsewhere before they ever bothered to try to get food. There is this sympathetic narrative of a desperate and worn-out Clarkson returning from a hard day’s work on set, but that didn’t really happen.

2 Likes

Good info. Tons of sugar in alcohol. No reason not to have had a few bar snacks too. Honestly, I’m fairly detached from the story. I’ve seen TG and know they travel to some fairly remote locations. I tried to give the man the benefit of it and all that. Too bad.

1 Like

Apparently James May was too drunk to remember anything, except somehow he’s convinced that ‘nothing serious happened’. It’s like the more is learned about the circumstances, the drunker he…er…became.

Which is a pity, because I actually quite liked him before.

1 Like

And you know this how?

I’ll admit that it is only from press coverage, but it has been reported pretty widely.

e.g. The Telegraph 3/14, NY Times 3/25

Note also May being on record as having been drunk.

Time wounds all heels.

1 Like