BBC's disinformation correspondent lied on her resume

Originally published at: BBC's disinformation correspondent lied on her resume | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I see what they did there.

18 Likes

As an unfortunate UK resident, For anyone overseas: Treat the BBC as the media outlet of the Tory party…

They were once great, but now just are the media arm of the Tories…

8 Likes

YMMV.

(And seeing some BBC journos regularly giving Tory MPs the third degree, my mileage suggest that whilst there are some journos who may pander, not all do by any means. Victoria Derbyshire on Newsnight is one who seems not often inclined to let their bullshit go unchallenged.)

4 Likes

My favorite bit from the article:
Spring defended herself as a “brilliant reporter.” Antelava replied: “Telling me you are a brilliant reporter who exercises integrity and honesty when you have literally demonstrated the opposite was a terrible idea … I am sure if you use this as a lesson, things will work out.”

I really hope Antelava was being sarcastic with that last bit.

3 Likes

The BBC is now TER central and has been for at least 5 years, and there is evidence that they are moving onto hating the rest of LGBTQIA. Tory party policy. They are as culty as Donald Trump, just more polite about it.

Polite fascists are still fascists, and the Tories and senior BBC execs are now mostly fascists. I will die on this hill (hopefully not literally).

8 Likes

Not going to argue that point with you about senior BBC execs.

3 Likes

Marianna Spring and the work she does are incredibly valuable. Not quite worth the license fee alone, but close. (Disclaimer: the license fee also pays my salary)

6 Likes

Someone lied on their CV?

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF by reactionseditor

8 Likes
6 Likes

Gone are the days you can fib your way onto the Universal lot and “fake it 'til you make it” as the director of Jaws.

4 Likes

Yep, her long term project to show the effect of social media filter bubbles on different sets of American voters is a superb piece of ongoing journalism and quite worthy of an academic study.

Honestly, the question should be why the Daily Mail felt this story was worth running? Lying on their CVs would be the least of the issues with the Mail’s ‘journalists’ given the paper’s rampant homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, antisemitism …

12 Likes

The tories have plenty of media arms - like sky “news” and gb “news,” too fool55 weeping bouncing

4 Likes

Because it’s another opportunity to slam the BBC.

Like when they slammed the BBC for sending 500, no 1,000 staff to cover Glastonbury (actual figure about 400) – a major cultural event.

The Daily Heil never complained about the number of BBC staff involved in the Proms concerts but that’s all establishment and so on. (Land of Hope and Glory.)

9 Likes

Never, ever lie on your curriculum vitae.
Embellish this, downplay that, weigh things according to the job you’re applying for… no problem.
But never put in an outright lie.

10 Likes

Well, that was a pretty stupid and indefensible thing to do. Especially as Marianna Spring has done some ace reporting, mostly in podcasts, on the rabbit holes that believers in and spreaders of conspiracy theories can disappear into. These would be well worth your time. I very much doubt that any authors of the above put-downs have actually listened to any of these. You might be surprised how much you’d find yourself in agreement with her views and judgements.

3 Likes

I find a fortnightly update from Private Eye as to the latest multiple examples of blatant hypocrisy from the Daily Heil, is all I need to maintain my fierce hatred of that rag and all who work on it.

5 Likes

Oh, the hubris of the reporter and the commenters - as if no one has put even the tiniest lie on their resume. :roll_eyes:

I can’t decide if that qualifies or disqualifies her for the job.

One person’s lie is another person’s embellishment!