BBS Thread/Topic trigger warnings

… In a phone booth?

10 Likes

It’s bigger on the inside?

4 Likes

Anyone who’s spent 10 minutes on the internet should understand that the comment thread for a posting on:

• Guns
  • Eating Meat
  • Gender in Video Games
  • Cyclists

is going to be an unholy slurry of feces and paste. And if you don’t, there’s really only one way to become fully educated.

4 Likes

New one queued up and waiting… get your flag button action in soon.

5 Likes

I swear I checked that 3 minutes ago and there were only 6 or 7 comments… uh oh.

1 Like

Well so far I only regret that I am out of likes for some of the banter.
Give it awhile before the reddit brigade shows up.

1 Like

It looks like there might already be one…

2 Likes

yeah, that does seem to be a /b/it much snark for a new user to be dropping in a hot button topic.

2 Likes

It isn’t that new and has posted at least one other comment a few days ago… for now it has the benefit of doubt of just plain not knowing.

1 Like

For the BBS in particular I’d add

• Uber v Lyft v Taxis
  • Civilian drone use
  • Trans-humanism
2 Likes

This should be in here:

But it appears that even predictive vigilance would fall afoul of the mighty @system

https://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/4/6/46641475afef554150be47eb1edfd0b184e72d7c_1_690x387.png

5 Likes

As I said there, though, it’s may well be true that the system is just plain smarter than me.

(Once I actually cleared those flags it let me open the thread, so I figure all it needs to do is tell me to go and do that first)

7 Likes

All-in-all, though, that thread is much less of a ridiculous shit-show then you’d think.

Were any new moderation strategies being employed, or have trolls simply gotten bored over time of showing up threads about Sarkeesian on every site on the web?

6 Likes

Right? Then again maybe @beschizza already dealt with the really nasty stuff, I just woke up and checked it so it could have already been improved by the mods. Honestly though I was expecting this one to be even worse than a topic on sexism and gaming usually is, almost purely because it contained a youtube video with the comments disabled. Which usually makes me fearful of having a lot of the nastier youtube comments squelch their way over to the BBS.

Well, given the post was shut down for flags and that only one single comment appears to have been blocked due to excessive flagging, it makes me suspect there was indeed a lot of chaff that I didn’t see because of the moderators. But yeah, it was pretty amazing how not-bad it was. And happily the rehash of “men are presented unrealistically too” produced some interesting (to me) thoughts about the homoerotic nature of men making titillating media for men with no women involved; and the “shut up and make your own game” discussion produced a super quotable and concise response. Good times were had.

6 Likes

I flagged a few in there. There was one that I found really demeaning and aggro, which stayed, but generated one of those -great- responses. All in all a good time indeed.

2 Likes

I have been mildly surprised by it. The one not quite brand new account got worse over night and has been banned so there was that. But yeah not quite the trolley fest anymore.

3 Likes

oh good. he was super tedous to scroll past.

2 Likes

Well, for 24 hrs, anyway.

No, that commenter was banned for admitting to trolling in that very thread, I’m sure everyone flagged that one comment, (I know I did) and hence the dominoes.

4 Likes