Be very careful about using eclipse glasses to stare at the sun

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/01/be-very-careful-about-using-ec.html

I prefer a welding helmet filter.

9 Likes

WTF boing, you didn’t include a link to a Amazon product here? You’re slipping.

/got my 5 pack a month ago.

4 Likes

8 Likes

My partner is a welder, and he gave me a glass insert from a helmet when we had a Venus transition a couple of years ago.

I wouldn’t give it to a kid, but I can manage to keep myself looking through the glass and not blinding myself out of carelessness.

It also worked to take a photo (of a small black dot on a yellow disc, not super impressive, but I know what it is). I’ll be pulling my glass out of the desk drawer for the eclipse, unless he’s around with the full helmet.

3 Likes

From the link…

A post from Quartz warned against counterfeit eclipse glasses that are being sold on Amazon by companies that don’t normally make astronomical gear.

At least give credit back to the original source, BB.

“not older than three years” Wait, I was planning to reuse these in 2024.

1 Like

The number to hit if you want to get a square of welder’s glass is 14.
We have several solar filters handed out by our local college from the Transit of Venus; considering the source, we are pretty sure of their validity. We also got a pair of the Celestron solar binoculars.

4 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

@frauenfelder what are you using to look at the sun and not fry your eyes?

I am soooo lucky, I plan to take the kiddo about an hour north of town, get off a highway, go a few miles east and then south and BOOM, right on the blue lined center of the event according to the ellipse tracker site. Plan to make it a picnic and just hang out on the side of the dirt road. I dunno if I will be the only one with this idea, but even a mile north or south should be awesome, so lots of room, probably.

Coworker/ex-neighbor might bring his kid too who is a year younger than mine. I plan to tell them during the couple minutes of the eclipse, there are no rules and you can do what ever you want :wink:

And @popobawa4u gets props for the MDFMK link.

7 Likes

Or you can just reflect the sun onto a shaded surface with a small mirror. It’s like a pinhole that you can aim.

1 Like

Make sure you set out early, I’ve read traffic in the area for the total eclipse might be a beast. Better early with something to do (bubbles? food? soccer ball?) while you wait than risk being stuck on the freeway during.

1 Like

Be careful with the welding lenses you choose. Some offer less protection than others…
IMG_1471

5 Likes

Eh, my $6 sunglasses are good enough.

1 Like

Tough it out. The skin will grow back on your eyes anyway.

8 Likes

Too bad theres no way to check the actual protection level ourselves. Woulndt it be a great use of tax dollars to just hsve the government give theze directly to people, for free? One source to validate, one responsible party to guard against counterfieting. Oh, wait, its the government. Cant trust them with our borders or our money, why trust them with our eyes?

1 Like

QFT! (Welder’s goggles are my faves.) Important addenda – NEVER put #14 or higher between your eyes and a telescope, binoculars, or other lens; the focused light can crack the filter and ::pfft:: goodbye eyes.

3 Likes

I HAZ GLAZZES

“Sun Catcher” model by Explore One, bought at Fred Meyer. They have the certification mentioned.

Shirtless because there is a heat wave going on.

For the 1970 eclipse, some people in the neighborhood stacked up several ruined photo-negatives. A few had dark blue plastic slabs that were probably inadequate.

I’m just gonna squint real hard. That’ll work, right?

1 Like