How do you photograph an eclipse? Watch one first

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/04/how-do-you-photograph-an-eclipse-watch-one-first.html

2 Likes

Good advice. My astronomer coworker took a lot of photos of the 1991 eclipse and wishes he’d just sat there and enjoyed it for a minute or two. I figure that I’d never ever be able to take better pictures than the pros will, so I took pictures of us wearing our eclipse glasses etc. in 2017.

13 Likes

I did okay in 2017 with a Nikon D90.

This year I have the same camera with a better 200mm lens and an extra Pixel 6 Pro fitted with a solar filter and all manual settings using Open Camera.

I also have a nice set of binoculars on a tripod with filters so everyone can have a close up view.

If I’m on top of things I have a third camera for video of totality.

I have a nice time lapse trigger for my camera that I considered using for the holy grail time lapse but you have to remove the filter, refocus and change the exposure pretty darn quick. I’m not that skilled.

We have a bunch of people joining us, I’ve given the same advice, attempt one or two of totality and then just look.

It is amazing.

My wife and daughter will be taking photos of everyone with their glasses on staring at the sky.

The memorable photos are the people you’re with not a crappy picture of the sun.

But if you are going to attempt it…

In 2017 I knew to take the filter of but when it went to totality I was so taken in by the sight when I looked through the view finder I freaked out when I saw nothing.

Took me a second to remember.

With all that said I enjoy the challenge but this time I’m looking more than button pushing.

We got to the campground in Ohio yesterday, it’s cold and raining on and off. Fingers crossed for Monday.

These are from 2017.

12 Likes

Oh nos, maybe I better just go to church instead of trying to photograph and viewing an awe inspiring event.

5 Likes

Those are lovely!

Hope your long weekend is wonderful, and you get many photos that make you happy, too.

5 Likes

I 100% agree — just enjoy the show. This is the same advice I’ve been giving on social media and Quora.

The 2017 eclipse was total for me in Oregon. I was prepared with one camera, one iPhone, a pair of binoculars, and eclipse glasses. Messing with all that stuff took so much time and concentration that I effectively missed half the show. The photos I took could not do the event justice as even shooting with my iPhone through 6X binoculars, the eclipse was perhaps 5% of the field-of-view, little more than a fuzzy orange spot on a field of black. I wish I could share a photo here.

2 Likes

Yup, not even going to bother, other than a few shots of us, maybe. There will be amazing photos taken by people who have the knowledge and equipment, and I will enjoy them.

Kiddo and I made the last minute decision to go chase this eclipse, and southern Illinois is the closest with a decent forecast. I know nothing about the area, so it will be a blank slate adventure. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Heading to Indianapolis tomorrow to watch the event. I have no intention of taking pictures. I’ll be on the hotel roof, sipping drinks, whatever the weather may bring.

1 Like

Today was a gorgeous day. Got the tents up for the kids.

We were sitting around the fire this evening when an interesting aroma kept appearing. It was like a giant septic tank.

I called the office and asked if there was a sewer leak in the park. No, what your smelling sir is the pig farm across that giant field.

How come that wasn’t in the brochure?

9 Likes

Ah, nothing like the lovely fresh country air!
And you can always tell the precise wind direction!

3 Likes

How to photograph an eclipse?
Pro tip: get a supersonic plane!

2 Likes

Sorry abt the puns, but what a shitty place for a campground! It’s also shitty of them to not let potential customers know. How TF could anyone cope with that? Throw incense into yr campfire & keep it going alla time? I’m so sorry yr going thru that! tophat-angry tophat-cry

1 Like

Not a cloud in the sky today, 50 degrees out.

I called the eclipse people and asked if they could move it up to today. They said sorry, no can do.

I asked to speak to the manager and got the same answer.

8 Likes

First contact in Bellevue, OH.

7 Likes

Did you get to see totality?

4 Likes

Yes.

Thank God the weather people had it all wrong.

I’m exhausted but here are a few from totality.

I went back and forth between two cameras while still watching it with my own eyes. I’m rather pleased with myself.

I’ve got a whole lot more between first contact and when the moon left the building. I’ll go through them tomorrow but here is the moon saying bye bye.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.