Because F#CK you, metric system!

Crabs can grow much bigger than cats. Some grow to span 13 cl[1]

1. corgi-lengths (using imperial corgi-lengths, naturally) ↩︎

15 Likes

Man, could make pasta for a big family with one of those…

6 Likes

JP must have a burger-joint descriptive-size section in their style manual.

7 Likes

Even the National Weather Service can play the “but not in metric” game with the best of them. Here they give three measurements for a hailstone, and not a millimeter to be seen between any of them.

9 Likes

So is that American, Imperial, and Canadian measurements?

15 Likes

hockey puck = Canadian measurement.

6 Likes

Interesting that they use metres in this 1962 film about a nuclear test.

Goes to show that the current insistence on other units is just a sign of insecurity. At the height of the American century they didn’t care.

3 Likes

I suspect it came during the period of the cold war when the USA defined itself as everything the USSR wasn’t. It’s easy to argue that the establishment clause was broken in the frenzy to define the USA as not atheist

1 Like

But the USSR used metres

ETA: oh, I see, you mean that happened after this film was released

Exactly, so my thesis is that the USA went heavy on feet and inches in the McCarthy period, later than this vid

2 Likes

Yeah, see my edit above. I eventually got it. Though technically the McCarthy era was before this 1962 test

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I misread the date as 52 initially. Shrug

1 Like

Nuff’ said.

2 Likes

During the making of the primordial black holes, another type of previously unseen black hole must have formed as a kind of byproduct, according to the study. These would have been even smaller — just the mass of a rhino, condensed into less than the volume of a single proton.

11 Likes

White rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum), Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis), Indian rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis) or black rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis)?
Inquiring minds want to know.

5 Likes

python-bridgekeeper

8 Likes

I’m nearly one hectopercent sure that Coelodonta antiquitatis should be the full-on-the-nose answer to this.

Or maybe not.

I’m taking a leap of faith out, shall I?
rhino GIF

6 Likes

behold, the magnificent rhinoceroo!

6 Likes

10 Likes

It’s usually sufficient to remember that it’s three kilderkins to the hogshead, and two hogsheads to a butt. Everything else is simple division.

I personally use the furlong-firkin-fortnight system of weights and measures.

14 Likes