Because sexism: Mansize Kleenex to be renamed

8 Likes

They are definitely sold in the UK. I got into a debate about this on Friday and I think we’re so used to the name here that we don’t even think about it. I argued that if the product was launched now and called “mansize” then everyone would think it was odd (at best) or sexist.

See!

In general, yes, but that’s not really the point. You don’t buy a “woman-size coffee” or a “man-size coffee” so why is this the only product that has called it such?

Anyway, I’m in favour of the change. Those who complain that it takes attention away from the bigger issues may be partly correct but small changes add up.

2 Likes

Those PC feminazi SJWs, ammirite? /s

Most companies welcome customer feedback on their marketing.

9 Likes

Maybe a good compromise would be that you can have weirdly gendered versions of products, but you have to advertise them in that “ripped from a 1963 Saturday Evening Post” kind of way.

1 Like

I don’t know about “we.” You seem to have fulfilled your aggrieved-at-the-world quota for the day, and it’s not even noon on the east coast.

Times change, buddy. To give another example of ridiculous overreaching political correctness that I can remember people scoffing at, we don’t call them “[n-word] toes” anymore like people did casually when I was growing up, but we still have all the Brazil nuts we can eat and somehow we soldier on.

13 Likes

all of these categories are completely unnecessary, and could be more accurately and helpfully described in non-categorized ways, for sure. In each case, there’s a calculus of the helpfullness of category vs. exclusionary harm. There isn’t a groundswell against kids size or family size (although they are also pretty dumb useful-for-marketing-only labels) In the case of completely useless category of “man-size” offensiveness doesn’t have to be that large to outweigh helpfulness. Lazy, useless gendered advertising is especially annoying, as it’s so uncalled for. honestly, this is only a big deal if someone bothers to whinge about the request. if it disappeared after the first few complaints without issue, then who would care?

5 Likes

I mean, right? Even if men have statistically larger schnozes, what’s the point of naming them “man-sized” since certainly some women need larger tissues, too.

8 Likes

I mean… yes. As @Kilkrazy noted, why not just label them extra large, as nose sizes vary within genders as well… Why gender shit that doesn’t need to be gendered?

Yeah, kind of. It rests on the assumption that “wimmin be shoppin” and love clothes more than men, which we are social conditioned to do as consumers.

No, because children generally are smaller than adults.

No, because some people are single and like to stock up, while larger families need more stuff at one time. Both of these examples are reasons behind them.

Then don’t read the damn thread if you don’t want to see people talk about it… Sheesh, why are you trying to shut down conversation, just go to one of the many other threads that don’t bother you with our silly concerns about gender…

11 Likes

Why did it take so long for someone to post this?

6 Likes

Because reverse sexism is funny. /s

4 Likes

Misandry%20-%20Toast%2C%20Cheers

8 Likes

gem-misandry

8 Likes

Imma just put this here: http://buypocky.com/product/buy-pocky-mens-bitter-chocolate/

1 Like

We’re going to need a bigger tissue.

9 Likes

Lets keep things on-topic here. without devolving into personal attacks or conflating issue with your opinion as issues with you personally.

As an aside:

I’m fairly certain they don’t sell these in Canada, but… did American men have bigger faces than women at some time in the past, or like, manly snot or something? I don’t even understand where this product came from. Was nasal fluid output a gendered issue at some point in the past?

10 Likes

Because there’s a glottal stop between the two instances of “Mmmm.”
You know:
Mmmm’mmm good;
Mmmm’mmm good;
That’s what Campbell’s soups are:
Mmmm’mmm good!

2 Likes

I think they should go with “Excessively Mucusy”

Yes, and also in the present. Has Canada somehow managed to avoid this aspect of biological sexual dimorphism?

9 Likes

Oh, you thought I meant all men are larger than all women? Cute.

However, I did not:
“Males weigh about 15% more than females, on average. For those older than 20 years of age, males in the US have an average weight of 86.1 kg (190 lbs), whereas females have an average weight of 74 kg (163 lbs).” https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad347.pdf

But who doesn’t love Gwendoline Christie? Nobody, that’s who.

1 Like