Because sexism: Mansize Kleenex to be renamed

I’m torn:

1. On the one hand, sure, it’s sexist. It says Man sized.
  2. On the other hand, are not men larger than women? Is that not what they were going for in the name?

And do we really care?

i just got over a bad cold during which i spent the days moping and whining about the house in my bathrobe with a full roll of toilet paper jammed in my pocket - i don’t care how it’s branded - just take my snot and get rid of it - thnx

2 Likes

I am with you… never seen mansize whatever the hell that is? Definitely less flowery box designs but if am snotty and sneezy I don’t really care about that.

6 Likes

Of course there are still these…

6 Likes

On the topic of advertising, is Secret antiperspirant’s tagline still “Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman” ?

Hmmm. A quick trip to the Wikipedia machine and it seems it’s now, “Stress Tested for Women”, but I’m not seeing when it changed.

5 Likes

I had not heard of them in Canada either.

From the article:
“The UK’s most popular tissue brand, Kleenex Mansize, has been forced to clean up its image after consumers complained its name was sexist. “

4 Likes

I’ve seen them, and even bought them. I can’t remember where it was, though certainly not the UK, where I would expect the ads to be disallowed (since the tissues are not, in fact, the size of a man).

Not only old enough, but now thanks to you I’ve got the damn ad jingle as an earworm.

5 Likes

“Now available in ‘Little Miss’, ‘moon maid’, and ‘stuck pig’ strength.”

5 Likes

I well remember the tag line from this product. I wish I didn’t. Saturation advertising: it works!

But thank god a bounteous array of Swanson™ PInnacle Foods™ Hungry-Man® Frozen Dinners survive. I mean, sometimes you have to eat like a man, and this is literally the only product that caters to this demographic.

1 Like

I come here for comments like this: “statistically larger than female nasal cavities”

1 Like

They stock “Mansize” tissues in grocery stores in Ireland. I’m an American who just moved here and I just posted a photo of a box the other day because I’d never seen one before and thought it was ridiculous. What I object to is the needless genderization of inanimate objects, like soap (Old Spice “Swagger” for manly men), or writing utensils (Bic Pens “For Her”), especially when the same items “for women” are significantly more expensive (I’m looking at you, Gillette). It also implies that men who don’t use the “manly” version somehow aren’t manly enough, and that’s just insulting.

7 Likes

I think I love you.

1 Like

Just wipe up when you’re done, yeah?

6 Likes

Speaking for myself as a man, I often have to use two or three of the “not mansize” tissues we normally buy for my household, because they are smaller and don’t do the job.

This isn’t a major issue. I don’t really care about having a “mansize” tissue, and naming them extra-large would seem to cover the point anyway.

1 Like

Have you consider a God-sized tissue?

2 Likes

Why is there an apostrophe in M’m? Is that short for Mmmm?

Yes, I have their jingle in my head now, thank you very much. “How do you handle a hungry man? The Manhandlers!” Sung in a big beefy man-voice.

I’m concerned that without the branding men will just go back to using their sleeves.

2 Likes

Seen a pic dump of tweets taking the piss of another (original) tweet which questioned this man-sized branding.

We need a jumbo-sized tissue to wipe this kind of asshattery, I think.

Sexist?

Because men are not bigger than women?

Because men are not snottier than women?

Because men’s noses are not bigger than women?

Would this still be “sexist” if there was a smaller “Womansize” product? In a not-pink box?

Is it sexist for LLBean to keep putting out catalogs which have twice as many products for women than they do for men?

Are “Kid-size” products ageist?

Is “Family-size” packaging demeaning to single people?

Is it even remotely possible - just a waver-thin chance - that we are going around just looking for things to gripe about, just an itsy bitsy teensy weensy too much?

1 Like

Eta until Hebrew is renamed to Webrew?