"Because we're not morons:" This bumper sticker announces you're voting for "the Democrat"

how come alot of people think democrats are lame…like the way meat eaters regard vegans…its like you are not supposed to be proud of yourself if you are a democrat. yet ironically you are in favor of helping people who wouldn’t help you.

2 Likes

In this particular instance, it is also how this particular existential threat to our democracy gets voted out. You can, and probably should, blame it for how he got in, but in our current moment he must go.

14 Likes

8 Likes

So once again you are trying to play the “less of two evils” false equivalency card. That is exactly what got is Nostradumbass in the first place.

The Dem candidate doesn’t have to be the next Abraham Lincoln, they have to be better than the nuthouse right now. Do not play that game of “well let’s not elect a bad democrat” BULLSHIT…there is not one of the Dems running today for the nomination that is anywhere close to being a “bad candidate” STOP USING FALSE EQUIVALENCIES.

14 Likes

even the worst spoken of the candidates is effectively a rocket scientist/brain surgeon…like in fact I mean a bunch of very accomplished people, many Rhode scholars etc…there is just a different level w/ these guys…I mean, if you care about intelligence and stuff…

3 Likes

Generics

One generic sticker rules them all is ok for now… but, care should be taken to go to the powers of ten to magnify the brand of whomever is nominated. Make no mistake this will be war of brands at some point because trump.

Generics always lose to branded goods unless you can’t afford them. We can’t afford to lose to Donald’s brand of bullshit.

6 Likes

Let’s not bring brain surgeons into this argument…the one in the administration right now seems quite lobotomized.

10 Likes

True, though not as stupid and dangerous as the “protest vote”. 3 years later I hope those people have learned that voting with their conscience isn’t worth it compared to migrant children dying, imminent war with Iran, and a systematic dismantling of egalitarian social institutions (a very non-exhaustive list of bad things that have happened). You know, things that many people learned (or failed to learn) in 2000.
Voting is simple game theory: you vote for the least worst person, especially at the national level, then continue to support / fight for candidates and causes that align well with your ideals. It’s completely plausible that Hillary would have shifted more readily to a leftist revolt than El Cheeto, who explicitly caters to far-right assholes and nazis.

7 Likes

Because manly, men think that’s what pussies do

I will vote for a candidate that has a policy that I agree with on:

• climate change policy
  • health insurance
  • immigration reform
  • gun policy
  • woman’s rights
  • minority’s rights (this includes race, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identification, different abilities, etc)
  • world policies
  • voting rights

Its been a long time since I’ve seen a republican candidate that I have agreed with on more than 1 and it is extremely rare that they even have 1 policy I agree with, so yeah, I will be voting democrat as long as the candidate isn’t a total ass clown…we they tried total ass clown once, and it doesn’t really seem to be working so great. If the dem is a total ass clown…I don’t know what I’ll do, move to Canada?

3 Likes

democrats have a history of being pretty bland and unexciting. for a long time it was felt that appealing to the center would be the most reasonable thing to do, but in reality it has just moved the whole discourse further to the right. when, in recent years, conservatives have become more radical and engaged in dirtier tactics, the most visible democratic leadership has clung to the middle and refused to fight back, afraid of appearing to “stoop” to their level or engage in mudslinging or something. in the meantime, as we can see, the right has run wild like an unsupervised child at a birthday party, and democrats have largely chosen to disapprove rather than actually respond. the resurgence of left-wing democrats has energized the party recently, but made the old guard extremely uncomfortable, and some have doubled down on the middle-of-the-road philosophy, which is destroying our democracy.

7 Likes

Ron Howard Voice: They had not.

4 Likes

You could see that in the debates, with several candidates repeating the “we need to work with Republicans to get things done” line. Those people lost my interest and my vote immediately.

11 Likes

you can’t blame it all on protest votes and spoilers. the fact that gore lost in 2000 just can’t be mathematically pinned on nader, and sooner or later you have to lay some responsibility on the failings of the platform, the campaign, and the individual themselves. both gore and clinton won the popular vote, so it’s not as simple as a matter of not enough people coming to jesus and doing the “right” thing, because that’s clearly not enough. gore could have fought the supreme court ruling and set precedent for our more recent disaster. he also could have run a far stronger campaign. i haven’t seen any data about “protest votes” handing the 2016 election to trump. what did it was a massive population of racist and centrist jerks, and a democratic nominee that had rightly or wrongly suffered from a decades long smear campaign and a frankly underwhelming platform. we would absolutely be in a better place if undecided and alienated voters had listened to facts and or swallowed their pride and voted, in the districts where it could have made a difference, for clinton. but the party and the candidate also bear responsibility for our present environment. i don’t see how it makes sense to be angry at bernie sanders, ralph nader, and uninformed voters and not have any desire for accountability from the democratic leadership.

5 Likes

this is how we got where we are now.

4 Likes

I think it’s important to make the distinction that not even the term Democrat is sufficient to name a moral candidate. Many Dems will roll over for the forces of evil in exchange for monetary belly rubs or political pats on the head.

Still, at this point in time, better than the mean Trump dog down the street.

The “lame” designation is born from tribalism/nationalism. The need to feel superior, and be on the winning team.

6 Likes

That’s sort of the problem when only one party believes in governance, though. Democrats’ political plans require institutions and public faith in those institutions. Republicans’ political plans (at least as Republicans are currently constituted) require only using whatever power they have now to preserve any power they can preserve for the future. Democrats haven’t found a good way to sell pluralism, process, and the value of social welfare while actively engaging in the kinds of bad-faith tactics Republicans have been engaging in because there’s not an easy way to reconcile those things

4 Likes

That’s just the truth. Politics entails compromise between parties. Do you want them to lie to you about how government works?

I’m going to go out on a limb here, and toot my own horn …

I Am Not A Republican

AmNotRepublican_2018-Jun-22

5 Likes

I care about who my candidate is not. FYI, concern trolling is not a great strategy.

8 Likes