Beer company scams people out of their money, calls it April Fools joke

Originally published at: Beer company scams people out of their money, calls it April Fools joke | Boing Boing

10 Likes

“It’s just a prank, bro!” *cue reggaeton horn*

12 Likes

companies should stop performing april fool’s jokes. most of them are unfunny and embarrassing.

22 Likes

April Fraud!

31 Likes

I’d be a bit suspicious of any promotional message like this anyway, but to pull a stunt like this is really taking the piss! (See what I did there?)
I’d be getting any attempt to take money from my account blocked anyway. Wankers.

7 Likes

That’s almost as bad as a Trump fundraising email.

18 Likes

We have learned today that “fraud” is not funny.

15 Likes

With the rising heating prices due to the war in Ukraine, this is something UK folks can ill afford to be sucked into.

8 Likes

Perhaps an occupational hazard if your day job is beer? The marketing department should pass sobriety tests before implementing new promotions.

6 Likes

Not sure if serious or joke - but they mean the United Kingdom.

The names of each response are typically British (e.g. Rob Caldecott), though you may have been swayed by the number of Ukrainian flags showing on their twitter as support.

1 Like

U.K.'s Bier Company — a beer subscription site — lured people into claiming a prize of “free beer for life,” then charged the “winners” for a beer subscription of $30

It’s the UK. We do not use dollars.

I appreciate that the subsequently quoted text gives the sum in £ sterling, (even though someone added to it to give the US$ sum equivalent) but with an international audience I’m still surprised that BB feels the need to be so parochial as to claim it was thirty DOLLARS!

I’m sure most of us here could discern different currency signs and grok them.

8 Likes

Let’s not be so hasty, now…

Also, this seems like a pretty clear-cut case of fraud. I smell bankruptcy coming.

3 Likes

So…UK denotes what exactly? Portugal?

8 Likes
3 Likes

I’m not sure what consumer protection laws are in place there, but here in the United States we’d sue their asses off and win for false advertising. People would literally get free beer for life (or the equivalent cash payout). An astoundingly BAD idea for a prank.

8 Likes

Schrodinger’s promotion: when it doesn’t work its a prank

7 Likes

Very valid point. Thinking up a new marketing ploy when you’re high on your own supply is probably not the best strategy.

Bottoms up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At some point there was someone in that office who pointed out that their plan was illegal, and got told to “stop being so negative”.

5 Likes

They’re in breach of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

From Schedule 1 of the Act (Commercial practices which are in all circumstances considered unfair)

1. Describing a product as ‘gratis’, ‘free’, ‘without charge’ or similar if the consumer has to pay anything other than the unavoidable cost of responding to the commercial practice and collecting or paying for delivery of the item.
6 Likes

Messing with a drinker’s beer supply will make them salty.

4 Likes