Beetlejuice followup sees the triumphant return of Michael Keaton

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/22/beetlejuice-followup-sees-the-triumphant-return-of-michael-keaton.html

6 Likes

Jenna Ortega is perfect casting for Lydia Deetz’s daughter, so on this note alone i’m cautiously optimistic.

12 Likes

Amazingly, he doesn’t seem to have lost a step- and the look is flawless, as one might expect.

He doesn’t look a day over 900 years old.

17 Likes

Bring It On Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

15 Likes

Return of Keaton? Did you see him in Spider-Man? When he opened the door at MJ’s house, the whole theatre said “oh sh…”. He chewed the scenery like it was a delicious ham sandwich.

8 Likes

He’s done lots of great stuff over the last few decades, I believe the point was that it’s great to see the return of Keaton as Beetlejuice.

8 Likes

I dont know; tim burton pretty much lost his mojo after mars attacks, so Im not very hopeful.

2 Likes

After seeing Harrison Ford sleepwalk through his 80’s genre movie sequels, the “gosh I feel pandered to but nostalgia is a powerful drug” Ghostbusters sequels, I’m not ready for Michael Keaton to follow suit.

Will I see this? Yes. Will I feel old doing so? Yes. Am I disappointed it’s not “Beetlejuice goes Hawaiian”? Also Yes.

3 Likes

Keaton already did do the “pandering to 80s kids nostalgia” thing quite recently, but reprising his role as Batman wasn’t enough to get me to see The Flash so I can’t say whether his performance was well done or not.

2 Likes

I would have been impressed if they had really committed to the gag at the end of the first film and had his character retain the shrunken head for the full duration of the sequel. But apparently that’s not to be.

6 Likes

I did see The Flash, and he was very good in it.

Is Mr. Mom next?

3 Likes

It struck me that The Incredibles 2 was basically “Mr. Mom but with superpowers.”

4 Likes

maybe reprise his role as an auto worker but attempt to unionize a tesla factory?

9 Likes

Huh… they got Keaton back, they got Katherine O’hara back, and they got Winona Ryder back as well.

I’m guessing Jeff Jones’ character, Charles Deetz, is the one whose funeral we see?

Expectations will be kept low on my part; so maybe this film will exceed them…

8 Likes

Prediction: Calypso music will make a small resurgence, and will be a trending sound for Tik/Shorts/Reels.

4 Likes

I was expecting he might scoop Nolan on The Prisoner, I’m sure he has thought about it before. Let’s just hope Timothée Chalamet isn’t cast as Keaton’s Beetlejuice protege, give other actors a chance.

1 Like

maybe they will explain how he got his full size noggin back.

NIGHT SHIFT. Get Henry Winkler on the phone, STAT!

1 Like

“Love brokers!”

I’d love to see them together in anything again. They were a great comedy team, like Matthau and Lemon or Falk and Arkin.

And Dan Aykroyd as Dr. Detroit can show up in the end credits scene.

1 Like

(I hadn’t heard about Jones’s various sex crimes. Don’t look him up on Wikipedia unless you want to get depressed, but it’s definitely for the better that he won’t be in this one.)

2 Likes