Before Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit there was Chuck Wagon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/15/before-mario-kart-live-home-circuit-there-was-chuck-wagon.html

4 Likes

what purpose did the wagon driver have in taking a trip around the room other than to torment the poor dog?

You act like that’s not sufficient unto itself.

And don’t look at me like that. I know you’ve all faked the throw.

7 Likes

Weird, my older brother also loved this commercial; I remember him telling me he kept expecting the dog to catch (and tear apart) the tiny wagon.

I don’t think there was a point beyond being fun to look at, and making the name “Chuck Wagon” stick in your head.

2 Likes

what purpose did the wagon driver have in taking a trip around the room other than to torment the poor dog?

He wants to dog to pay attention to the commercial and bowl of delicious dog food on the TV screen. Although I guess an announcer yelling “good dog! suppertime! time to eat” would have stirred the dog from her torpor with much less effort.

3 Likes

Hello. My name is Marty DeBergi. I’m a filmmaker. I make a lot of commercials. That little dog that chases the covered wagon underneath the sink? That was mine.

5 Likes

“Meat-like chunks?!”

4 Likes

… and brown crunchy “bits”.

1 Like

It’s so meta that the dog in the television at the end is the same one in the living room.

1 Like

I remember one CW ad where the chuckwagon actually made it to the kitchen, and the dog was eating at the end of the commercial. Seems like an overly-complicated delivery system.

3 Likes

The desaturated palette inspired Spielberg‘s beach storming sequence in Saving Private Ryan.

My parents dogs hated the “red meaty chunks” and would leave them in a pile next to their food bowls. They were like red sponges. It had to be bad to keep our chow hounds from eating them!

1 Like

This is really one of the best sci-fi shorts of the 70s

That’s just aging film. The seventies actually occurred in living color.

“Cheat like munks”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.