Before Phil Hartman was on SNL, he designed some pretty famous album covers

Originally published at: Before Phil Hartman was on SNL, he designed some pretty famous album covers | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I love that the made Zap Brannigan an homage to Hartman, who was the intended actor for the role, instead of taking it in another direction. It’s a small, but moving thing to me.

It makes me smile, and miss him a great deal, every time I watch a Brannigan episode.

9 Likes

I love that Hartman worked on the Firesign Theatre album cover. Excellent overlap of comedic talent.

Rest in power, Mr. Hartman. You are missed!

Well Done Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

10 Likes

And like most SNL sketches ever, it goes on for abut 80% longer than it should. I’m amazed it’s still on, not having generated a movie property in many years.

1 Like

New information for me. The indie/alternative creative scene in L.A. from the mid-70s through the early 1980s was a gloriously weird mix of comedians, comics artists, designers, musicians, and filmmakers all cross-pollinating and supporting each-other until they broke through into popular culture and made it what it is today.

3 Likes

There’s another homage over there: the “Philip” in Philip J. Fry.

2 Likes

as a designer, and a fan of Poco, i think of him every time i see the iconic horse image on the Legends album cover. he was just so talented in so many ways.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.