Greener Postures is a kick-ass album by Snakefinger

Originally published at: Greener Postures is a kick-ass album by Snakefinger | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’d assume Pore-no Graphics did the artwork, since they (whoever they are) did the Residents’ early lp art.

2 Likes

Featuring the hit single “The Man in the Dark Sedan”:

4 Likes

Snakefinger’s Vestal Virgins album is really great. There’s a live performance here: Snakefinger and the Vestal Virgins - May 23rd 1987 - Berkeley Square (Full Show) - YouTube

1 Like

I saw them on that tour. I even had the tour t-shirt and got the band to autograph my LP, but you know. . . ebay. Featured Eric Drew Feldman of Captain Beefheart’s Magic Band.

“I have seen, the golden goat, and he would like, to lick my throat.” --Phillip “Snakefinger” Lithman

1 Like

Snakefinger’s History of the Blues is also a good listen:

You had me at Ralph Records.

1 Like

I had the good fortune of interviewing him one afternoon in… ‘81(?) in the lush studios of WNUR, Northwestern U’s radio station, when he passed through Chicago (and when college radio MEANT something, man)!. His manager crashed on the couch in our Green Room (storeroom) while we chatted. He was extremely patient and accommodating with my random questions. Very very nice human being.

4 Likes

I have a fever and what it needs is moare snakefinger…

First response was this, a stretch perhaps??

2 Likes

Bingo! Discogs verifies PNG for the cover art.

1 Like

I’ve been a huge Snakefinger fan since I bought the first album after reading a description in the Caroline records catalog. Snakefinger (aka Phil Lithman) is one of my favorite guitar/lap steel player and a huge influence on my playing. He also played guitar for The Residents on multiple albums. He was also a founding member of Chili Willie and the Red Hot Peppers which produced one album of country music in the late 70’s.
I was absolutely floored after seeing Snakefinger for the first time at the 9:30 Club in Washington DC in 1980. I started buying up affordable lap steel guitars as soon as the next paycheck hit my wallet. IMHO I put Snakefinger in the same realm as Hendrix which is not an easy thing for me.

1 Like

Can confirm that he was super nice. Met him and his band (the Vestal Virgins, really the Beefheart’s Magic Band in disguise) when I had the pleasure of booking them at our college (WWU in Bellingham, WA) in 1986. Very polite and gracious, even though I had to put them in the middle of a bill which had them opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They blew the Peppers out of the water, whose guitar tech said they were the best band that they had ever been on a bill with. Fun fact: Snakefinger’s real name was Phillip Lithman, and the first band he was in were named Chilli Willi And The Red Hot Peppers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.