Behold i am become eerily geometric frozen mcrib destroyer of metabolisms

Molecular, yes. Gastronomy? Not as I understand it.

1 Like

Will they not be deliciously soft and chewy by this point though?

Arguably true, though. I’d love to eat there.

So wait, if I can find a handful of taste-impaired millionaires that willingly eat Spam, then I suppose any protestations that the shit is simply nasty will automagically become mere snobbery?

The McRib is the only thing I truly enjoy at McDonalds, and is a near perfect intersection between corporation and the consumer. In my opinion, it is one of the pinnacles of engineering thought by combining ideal cost structures found in business models with the science of formed meat patties and design and logistics in shipping products worldwide to make something entirely unique that consumers desire. Truly the peak of low cost consumer goods.

Now if it somehow it solved McDonald’s pay structure it and wasn’t offered in a 2 McRib combo meal…

2 Likes

Last time I heard about meat glue, it was in relation to serious concerns about bacterial contamination from building something of of the exterior portions of a cut of meat. I am admittedly a bit fuzzy on the details.

I’d also think that the McRib production process is considerably less elegant than gluing together discrete chunks of meat. Not that it would stop me from eating them.

I do like it (tendon, tripe, etc) in a nice bowl of pho…

2 Likes

I don’t remember the exact numbers, but white meat nuggets had about 2.5x’s the fat and 1/2 the protein of intact breast meat. Not surprising – that is what all processed food tends to do…

What’s more, when you eat real chicken, you’re holding a burned dead chicken part in your hands as you rip the flesh from the bone with your teeth, exposing the shiny, delicate bone and tendons beneath. As the remaining blood, lymph, fat, and cytoplasmic fluid streams down your chin, you let out a primal groan of satisfaction appropriate to your station in the food chain. Considered in this light, daintily dipping a nugget in light industrial sauce seems quite civilized.

6 Likes

I had to read that first paragraph twice to make sure it wasn’t output from one of those fast food corporation dummy text generators…

As a former McManager for 10 years back in the past, including being around for the initial launch of McRibs and so many others (Cheddar Melt anyone? McBeefsteak? Fajitas?), I’d just like to clarify that they are not deep-fat fried, but cooked on a grill.

That said, just about any processed meat would melt if you leave it out. McDonald’s stuff is not a lot more processed than what you’d buy prepared in a store. I’ve walked around the milk, meat, and bread processing plants - there’s nothing you wouldn’t see at Swanson or any other mass processor of food.

Yeah, probably.

Krustyburger!

To yummy, richie…

Wake up.

Ha ha! I concur, the problem with the UK is that it costs, generally, an arm & a leg to eat out well. Unlike countries like Italy, Spain, France for example where eating out is cheap and generally a much better experience.

In the the UK the middle and lower end of the market has pretty much been taken over by chains, serving up deep fried, ding-ding, over sweetened or salted crap that passes for ‘good food’.

We in UK have got better with food but have a long way to go yet.

Definitely. Not in fast food, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.