Bella, a 14-year-old cat, sets new Guinness World Record for loudest purr

Originally published at: Bella, a 14-year-old cat, sets new Guinness World Record for loudest purr | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Happy Cat GIF by Treehouse Direct

14 Likes

We had a loud cat.
I do think that Bella is probably louder.

Lumpy would purr just walking into a room.
He purred on spec., knowing that whoever was in said room would be glad to see him.

10 Likes

Guiness World records is a gross organisation, product placement is gross, and I bet whiskers paid for this to even be a record…

But whatever. Good girl Bella. You seem great and your family seem to love you. I love how giant your bed is, you’re a beautiful old lady and you deserve nothing less.

Given db is a logarithmic scale, that’s extra impressive too. 55db is about "normal conversation level). I.e. you’d have to speak up slightly to talk over her purring :stuck_out_tongue:

(Btw, the record she has is for living cats. There are now-late kitties who are even more insanely loud)

1 Like

I wonder what Simbakubwa kutokaafrika’s purr was like?

giantCarnivore

Bella had better watch out for the Cat Detector Van.

4 Likes

9e3a22d2-45b3-42af-9fa8-5543bd6fb7d5_text

4 Likes

That room was nowhere near dead enough, IMO. You could hear the reverberance in the room when they were talking. And in a living room, not a controlled chamber, anechoic or otherwise, the acoustic environment is too uneven for this to be worth anything. Which, to be fair, it is Guinness, and they sell their records to whoever pays. Including cat food companies. Just thought I’d add my two cents as an acoustician whose job it is to catalog noise sources using proper testing procedures. Which this was not.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.