Beloved sports coach ignored sexual abuse of children

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/12/beloved-sports-coach-covered-u.html

3 Likes

Look, do you want your team to win or not? Next you’re going to get your panties in a knot over all those concussions! This isn’t a game. This is football!

15 Likes

“Are you complaining about sexual abuse? There’s no complaining about sexual abuse in football!”

10 Likes

Wasn’t this something we all knew about when the Sandusky trial was going on? Why exactly are we bringing this back up again?

Sandusky is in jail.
Paterno is dead.
Penn State is shamed and has all sorts of sanctions still.

Its over.

1 Like

College Sports: A secular religion.

5 Likes

Penn State should continue being shamed for the next decade to come.

There are still plenty of true believers who believe Paterno did no wrong. Let doubt eat away at their veneer of “good person” and enablement of pedophiles for the good of the team and the “legacy” which now is rape.

What is apparently new: the actual testimony unsealed from court records (which I’m sure you didn’t read.)

"John Doe 150, according to the newly unsealed court documents, testified that he told Paterno of the sexual assault and the coach ignored his complaint.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?’” the victim’s lawyer asked him in 2014, according to the Washington Post.

“Specifically. Yes … I was shocked, disappointed, offended," the man replied. “I was insulted… I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”

If it’s such a waste of time, why spend yours complaining that yours has been wasted on this “old news”?

26 Likes

Beloved sports coach

No, not by me, may they both feel the flames of Hades for eternity.

9 Likes

Makes me feel good about graduating from that institution with a BA having never once attended a football game, living in the niche local world of artists, freaks, and geeks who felt similarly. The athletic program shouldn’t be the tail that wags the dog of the University.

8 Likes

A reminder what happened after Paterno was canned

2 Likes

Christ what an asshole. No I didn’t read the entire set of unsealed records because its unnecessary. The case was tried and I already knew he was guilty from before and was rightfully convicted.

Additionally, yes PSU should share in the blame of allowing this to happen as should JoPa. But continuing to shame someone or an institution over something that is done and finished is just ridiculous.

As for the last point. Just as every other person here gets to bitch whine or complain about whatever they want…so do I. So I will exercise my right to ask of BB why bring this up once again.

have a nice day.

Sad to think of how many likely still feel that way.

Because court testimony was just unsealed. Is there something you don’t get about how that’s newsworthy?

10 Likes

Paterno certainly was not woke.

Also, the library wasn’t named in his honor, it was named because he forked over the money for it.

2 Likes

Time for a Carthaginian peace.

Because I’m not pretending to take the high road but also read the summary to know what was newsworthy before commenting?

wan shrug

Does the distinction matter? They can revoke it on his dishonor.

3 Likes

I think it’s important to keep bringing it up because what Paterno did, and what the Catholic Church did, and what so many other institutions did, was status quo back then. We need to keep bringing it up so that it doesn’t become status quo again. Kind of like saying, “Hey, it’s STILL not okay to rape people, or to allow rape.”

When I think about this, it makes my skin crawl. I get the feeling this was only sort of secret; it was so widespread that everyone must have known about it, or at least suspected it, and no one did anything to stop it. The level of predatory behavior going on back then is appalling.

10 Likes

The asshole football players and alumni want the statue put back. They petitioned for it recently. It serves to remind the world this wasn’t a doddering old man making a mistake near the end of his life. This was nearly 40 years of ignoring his pal abusing kids.

18 Likes

I knew he knew. There’s no way he didn’t know. His “legacy” is sealed, in my mind. I will always think of him as a scumbag who covered up a rapist’s crimes.

6 Likes

Raze the school? I agree Paterno and Sandusky needs to both be continued to be held up as examples of the evil that grows when men who know about it do nothing. And Penn State should be shamed into changing the name of the library and any other scholarships and honors accorded Paterno. And the public needs to be reminded that monsters hide in the shadows of the unassailable. But Penn State delenda est seems a little indiscriminate, if that is the implication. Or do you mean destroy something else?

3 Likes

And students, male and female, rioted when Joe Pa was fired. Humanity stinks.

5 Likes