Ben Carson cites fake Stalin quote, the crowd goes wild

The debate moderator corrected a fact (the date of when Justice Anthony Kennedy was nominated and confirmed) and he was booed. He was booed for introducing a fact into the debate.

Not to mention the booing of Trump for saying the plainly obvious about the Iraq invasion.

17 Likes

Damn, he saw right through me.

You have just ruined my day. Utterly. Pink + IWD + WTF Rand? Oh, no no no no no.

7 Likes

The debate moderator knows exactly what he is doing

11 Likes

That sounds like the exact same mentality you find in a Chick Tract. Dog help us all.

2 Likes

Yeah. I was kind of glad I had the shock absorbers installed the other day. If I hadn’t I think my head would have exploded from that one.

1 Like

The debate moderator knows exactly what he is doing

9 Likes

It’s very rare that Trump says anything I agree with, but when he does it always elicits boos from the GOP debate audience. The same thing happened at an earlier debate when he said that Single Payer health care seemed to be working fine in other countries.

9 Likes

8 Likes

But why Stalin, specifically, why not Bin Laden, or at least some slightly more contemporary leader like Ghaddafi, (assuming he’s sufficiently ignorant to not know we trained and placed Ghaddafi originally, but that’s another discussion). I.e. the “why not the Islam thing” is a valid question. Or perhaps our good friend Occam is right - he simply saw it in passing and decided to use it?

3 Likes

Can I like this twice?

1 Like

I always enjoy listening to Carson speak. He’s like a human-shaped version of the Dormouse from Alice in Wonderland, most especially like the Alice: Madness Returns incarnation of the Dormouse.

3 Likes

Would it make you feel better if you knew it was a fake quote? :smiley:

2 Likes

C’mon. Trump clearly spends more time on Twitter than studying things like foreign policy, and it’s done nothing but boost him in the polls.

1 Like

Overlap in the Venn diagram. Or at least the Republicans have to pretend to belong to that group, albeit awkwardly in Trump’s case.

Because Stalin, a public atheist, is “revealed” by the fake quote to really, secretly, value religion and see it as a strength of the country. See, everyone agrees! Liberals, really just being “mini-Stalins” also, of course, secretly believe these things are valuable, but, like Stalin, are rejecting them because they want to destroy America (with their popular music and HBO and gay marriage).
Bin Laden openly acknowledged the value of religion, even if it’s an “evil religion.” Also, the US religious right really, really don’t want to say anything that associates their brand of fundamentalism with Bin Laden’s, even - especially - when they do overlap in sentiment. That is, Stalin “saying” that American strength lies in its religion/morality is him saying, “I fear your strength and wish to destroy it (since I’m the anti-Christ).” BIn Laden expressing that is saying, “One of us, one of us!”

He didn’t randomly select a quote. Why did he overlook the fact that it was a dumb, obviously fake quote and use it? Why was it so appealing to him and his audience? (And why, in the first place, was someone inspired to write it, or at least falsely attribute it to Stalin?) The thing is, this is hardly the first such quote I’ve seen US conservatives use (an obviously fake quote that functioned the exact same way). Because they really do believe that their values are universal values, that atheists aren’t people who don’t believe in god(s), but people who believe in, but hate, their God, that these things are the most important parts of the USA, and thus seek out quotes that “prove” how others agree with that, especially those unlikely to do so.

8 Likes

Oh, I’ve got a couple former classmates now on Facebook who identify their political orientation as “Anti-Communist.” I’m grateful for their continued vigilance.

6 Likes

Isn’t that usually code for ‘fascist too stingy to pay taxes’?

10 Likes

He could had said Alister Crowley and the paraphrase would be correct. He’s the one that said that about the U.S.

Source? I tried Googling “Aleister Crowley” along with various key words from that quote and got nothing. It certainly doesn’t sound like like his style of writing or speech to me.

1 Like

Shh, you’re spoiling it…

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes