Ben Carson has nutty theories about the Egyptian pyramids

Hey, he has personally chopped open multiple brains and hasn’t seen any ‘gay gene’. How much more scientific can you get?

5 Likes

man not even with my enemies wang would I do that.

6 Likes

It’s so crazy that he’s a respected neurosurgeon for real. Like, actually an accomplished brain cutter-upper. You’d think you’ve have to be able to think critically to get good at something like that.

Compartmentalized thinking must be a hell of a drug.

17 Likes

You don’t know?
And you will never know.
You have - signed the application…

Maybe neurosurgery isn’t rocket science?

I wonder if he’s like Asimov’s technician priests?

Or maybe being really smart in one discipline is no bar to being an utter loon in general.

4 Likes

I like to call this Linus Pauling syndrome:
The belief that expert knowledge in one domain area automatically causes expert domain knowledge in other areas.

4 Likes

The real purpose of the Egyptian pyramids:

28 Likes

Look, I myself am a great genius at one particular thing, and I can assure you that it definitely, definitely, makes me think I know everything about everything. But, you know, I’m right.

9 Likes

Well, Linus Pauling is the only person to win two solo Nobel prizes and in vastly different disciplines too, so we might have to give him a pass here.

4 Likes

Yeah, but…

Vitamin C.

(still, point made)

5 Likes

I heard most of the people who post on this blog were constructed for storing grain - the grain is distilled into some sort of liquid form and then they fill them up with it. That Doctorow fellow can hold a lot, I heard.

9 Likes

Is there a consensus on what they actually were used for? Burial chamber seems kinda nutty to me.
Don’t get me wrong, Dr Carsleep isn’t on my list of luminaries but grain storage seems a reasonable theory for a layman to posit. Calling the idea nutty just seems over the top.
We still teach that they are tombs with little evidence to support that 1900 year old theory. What’s nuttier, teaching our children a largely unsubstantiated theory as fact or someone saying their personal theory differs from the norm?

What does Ben Carson think about India having Nukes?

9 Likes

Well [all that dead egyptian royalty they found inside them][1] tend to lend a lot of credence to them being just that.
Cheops had a big ego apparently.
ETA if you were gonna do things like store grain some actual interior space would be needed and there is little to none in them.
[1]: Great Pyramid of Giza - Wikipedia

27 Likes

He has now surely doomed his campaign, having infuriated the powerful archaeology and Egyptology lobbies.

Those are things, right?

8 Likes

TobinL, I read the wiki article you linked and saw nothing about royalty found inside them. I did see the mention of Herodotus who visited them 3000 years after being built who was told a story about them being looted.
As far as the grain theory goes, I don’t subscribe to it but it seems just as likely as the tomb theory given the evidence I’ve been able to find.

[quote=“anotherone, post:34, topic:68749”]
Don’t get me wrong, Dr Carsleep isn’t on my list of luminaries but grain storage seems a reasonable theory for a layman to posit.
[/quote]That theory has been around since late antiquity so it’s not like nobody ever considered the possibility.

Maybe Scrubs got it right about surgeons?

1 Like

[quote=“anotherone, post:38, topic:68749, full:true”]
TobinL, I read the wiki article you linked and saw nothing about royalty found inside them. I did see the mention of Herodotus who visited them 3000 years after being built who was told a story about them being looted.As far as the grain theory goes, I don’t subscribe to it but it seems just as likely as the tomb theory given the evidence I’ve been able to find.
[/quote]Is this some sort of elaborate joke? There really is no dispute that (1) the pyramids had very little interior space, and so weren’t likely useful for storing grain; (2) they functioned as tombs - which goes well beyond merely containing “dead royalty” to containing a great many artifacts relevant to ceremonial burial, and elaborate inscriptions related to the decedents.

6 Likes

Again, I don’t support the grain theory.
Please cite something showing elaborate inscriptions and such found inside the pyramids. As for myself, I’ll offer this http://www.scottcreighton.co.uk/PDF-Files/Ten%20Facts%20that%20Contradict%20the%20Pyramid%20Tomb%20Theory.pdf