Flat Earther suspected of torching three Masonic lodges

Originally published at: Flat Earther suspected of torching three Masonic lodges | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I knew it!
Thanks for confirming.

7 Likes

35 Likes

“I just cleaned 3 satanic club houses and nobody could do anything.” Police have charged Kohlman over one of the fires, and arson charges for the others are likely forthcoming.

Once you’re a Flat-Earther it just gets easier to be completely wrong about anything else.

22 Likes

The first listed is important, you need that before you go onto the others.

41 Likes

Nicely recalling a repeated Professorial admonition from a symbolic logic course: “From false antecedents anything maybe concluded.” (“If wyverns exist, then they all have purple buttocks. Wyverns do exist, therefore…”)

6 Likes
23 Likes

The only thing a flat earther fears is sphere itself

53 Likes

I happened to drive past a couple of those. It’s funny because flat earthers are morons, but also scary because it amounts to 3 terrorist attacks by an extremist in my community.

Conspiracy theories are very common among extremists of all sorts. And for every 1000 peaceful morons who thinks the world is flat despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, there are a few who are disturbed and/or stupid enough to think they need to take action of some kind. Of those there are a few who will commit acts of violence.

14 Likes

I know there is no “logic” to conspiracy theories, but I am always puzzled by this one. I understand who benefits if the moon landings were faked (they weren’t), but who benefits from promoting a spherical earth narrative over a flat earth?

Not that I’d actually bother to look it up, though.

10 Likes

Big … errr … Geometry?

19 Likes

Flat Earth is the perfect tool for explaining conspiracy thinking to people. By and large, most people still think that beliefs like anitvax, QAnon, or alt-med are an information gap problem. “If we just fund science education and give these people the facts, they’ll see the light!”.

Well, enter flat earth. We’ve known the earth is round for thousands of years, and every schoolchild knows it. You can get in a plane or boat and see for yourself. There could not be a more trivially disprovable belief. Yet thousands of people sincerely believe. This belief is so stupid that many think these people are all trolls or poes. Not true- the majority are sincere about this.

So remember- conspiracy thinking has nothing to do with information. Keep that in mind next time you are tempted to say, “why don’t they just [action that would show roundness of earth]”.

30 Likes

I have that on a T-shirt. Gets some looks at times.

15 Likes

This headline is rapidly approaching the singularity of hilariously stupid humanity. I love it.

10 Likes

Had to check the guys name, make sure it wasn’t one of my sibs.

12 Likes

A shadowy cabal who controls the Underside and doesn’t want you or anyone else to know what they do or even that they exist? There’s no Underside for a sphere / oblate spheroid. If you knew about the Underside you might also learn that all the unicorns that used to exist Topside were moved to Underside so their magical powers could be harnessed in the Cabal’s plan for immortality. Wouldn’t you want to try to go to Underside to get some sweet one-horn magic for yourself?

[No, I’m not a Flat Earther. I just have a fruitful imagination.]

13 Likes

That’s crazy talk. The unicorns would fall off the Underside. There’s clearly an up and down in space and everyone lives topside.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Ooooh… nice.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the Patrick O’Brien Master and Commander books, the part where the Captain is teaching youngsters spherical geometry. You’d think a simple chat with a sailor would clear things up.

4 Likes